JPMC International Ltd (Paypal) Direct debit instruction

Brydo123
Contributor
Contributor

My bank alerted me to the fact that Paypal has managed to set up a Direct Debit on my account which I have NOT authorised. I have no idea how you managed to do this but it is an obvious security risk and I am not satisfied with previous answers about Paypal only using it at my request. You have my credit card and that should be enough. 

I am going to end the direct debit but please confirm that you can transfer and balance owing to me to my Visa credit card.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Brydo123 

When you add a bank account to paypal it sets up the direct debit mandate so that paypal can take authorised payments for any purchases you make (or pay your Ebay fees).
No company eg water/electric can take funds from your bank account on a regular basis without that direct debit.
However the amount shown is always the ''last'' transaction / amount that you paid to a seller via paypal.

If you cancel it then you won't be able to use your bank account as a funding source / you won't be able to withdraw funds from your paypal balance if you sell anything. You can't withdraw funds to a card in the UK.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Brydo123
Contributor
Contributor

The whole point is that JPMC gets set up as a direct debit covertly. You do not see or approve this instruction unless you happen to hit on a small link when you are setting up the bank a/c details and only then does the JPMC agreement appear. I think the UK Office of Fair Trading would take a dim view of this.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Brydo123 

If you are adding a bank account to fund your paypal payment then its the ONLY way that they can access those funds for you, so nothing covert about it.

If you put in bank details then you are authorising a direct debit, because thats the only way that they can use those bank details to pay your sellers for you.

I entered my bank details to pay my elec bill when i moved, it set up a direct debit so that they could take the money as thats the only way that they can take it. They didn't tell me they were setting one up its automatic when you add your bank details.

If you DON'T want a direct debit set up then add a card instead.  

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.