PayPal leave Australia

Kymmk58
Contributor
Contributor

I sold some items in August 2016, then unfortunately had a heart attack and mild stroke. Checking my PayPal account a few months after when I recovered I discovered my $12,000 was frozen. I had to supply a heap of info. I explained that I wasn't a business, didn't have business tax returns, didn't have a business operating no (ABN), didn't have invoices or supplier details of what I was selling and couldn't contact the Ebay customers I sold to months ago about the items I had sold. All were sent with tracking and received with complaint, except for a scammer wanting his money back after a few days before the item had arrived. I can't contact them because after 60 days Ebay removes the sold details!

All I got back were robot replies for months and months. They just didn't or couldn't read my responses. So I escalated my complaint...that's how many complaints they get, it takes 45 days to reply.

So I complained to the Financial Ombudsman and have taken them to court.  PayPal reponded by closing my account and freezing my $12k until March 2017.

My next move has been to go to a Federal Senator, contact a national TV Show (well 2 of them) and I will then follow up with my Court action.

See my Facebook page - PayPal Problems.  I worked in a bank for 40 years and if I had treated one of my clients like this I would have been sacked and may have ended up in court. You do it thousands times a day. Reading PayPal Australia Facebook page is a revelation with it's daily complaints of their complete lack of service and disregard and disrespect towards customers.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Even if you are not a registered business, you operate like one.  You accept payments for goods.  PayPal expects accounts to conduct transactions properly.  Yes, you had health issues but you understand why the account was limited because no one was minding your transactions and were receiving complaints, etc. They are holding balance to cover any chargeback, disputes, or bank reversals.  PayPal will contact you when you are able to withdraw your money.  You agreed to it when you signed up for PayPal account.  As far as PayPal is concerned, you are a risk and after 180 days, you can withdraw your money and PayPal will cease to do business with you and you can no longer sign up for another account ever.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

why did Paypal freeze your account,if most of your customers received your items?

Did 1 customer file dispute while you were hospitalised and you did not respond?

Did Paypal closethe case in his favor,return his money and restrict your account?

See,your buyers can file dispute in 180 days from the day they make payments,so your lack of response alert Paypal if there are more disputes,you may not respond,so they restrict your $12k in case disputes are filed.

If you manage to collect $12k plus ,then it is a business,you are expected to behave like a business man,sorry for your illness,business calls for planning,contingency plan and back up,most of us are solo operators,and could fall into the same situation like yours.

Instead of speaking toTV show or legal action,just have to speak to Paypal or just wait it out.

if no more dispute,Paypal will release your fund,explain your case,you may show your hospital bill or a letter from your doctor.

you have 2 more months and the fund would be released,your concern should be Paypal if it will let you back,so a letter from your doctor and proof of illness with bills etc would help. 

Login to Me Too

Kymmk58
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Fanboy. I'm not a business because I managed to collect $12k. Wow you must work for PayPal because you have no understanding. I'm an Accountant and worked as a Corporate Finance Manager and I know what a business is. You need a particular business trading no (ABN) and to be registered. I sold some high end watches I'd had for years. 

Taking payments is not acting like a business? All sellers do. Am I a registered business? No. All my sales were ok and accepted. My health meant that I didn't leave feedback. Waiting for 6 months before getting my funds after shipping out straight away, no business would survive.

If you read paypal's terrible conditions they state they can freeze your funds for any reason they want, in fact it says that they don't have to give you a reason. Talk about lack of transparency. What banks, governments, business and individuals can do that? Only PayPal. The truth is they froze my funds because...1. They don't understand. 2. They don't read the mails or their staff have a lack of English or language skills to understand. 3. The staff don't have to offer any customer service and so they don't. 4. Upset PayPal by complaining and they freeze your account.

Read the internet, read your site and generally open your eyes. Stop being a Fanboy and start being objective because you are acting like the rest of their staff.

Haha acting like a business by taking payments for selling a few things. Hopeless. Hey close this 'community' because you are just an extension of paypal's unacceptable behaviour.

Show a hospital bill to get my money? lol What bank would dare to ask this or hold funds for as long as they want...none because it's illegal 

Login to Me Too

FTS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Is there a way to block this person? All it does is bad mouth complete strangers.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@FTS

Just report each post as inappropriate

Login to Me Too

FTS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Done! Thanks

Login to Me Too

Kymmk58
Contributor
Contributor

Bad mouth = telling the truth. total strangers? I'm critiquing your replies not bad mouthing. Again typical Paypal response, nothing useful to say or suggest. Don't worry I won't bother posting on here it's a waste of time Fanboy. Done!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.