Scammed!! Buyer said they didn't get an item THAT I NEVER SOLD! I'VE NEVER SOLD ANYTHING!

MJahmarP
Contributor
Contributor

Someone sent me $46 on PayPal, then the next thing I know, my account is in the negative for no reason!!! I DO NOT/DID NOT SELL ANYTHING!!!!!!!!! Nor have I EVER HAVE!!! They charged me $20 extra for THEMSELVES not SOLVING THIS PROBLEM!! PayPal is not doing ANYTHING!!!!!

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @MJahmarP,

I'm sorry to hear that you received an unknown payment and then a chargeback. When you first received the payment, did you immediately refund it to the sender? Doing so typically prevents the need for a chargeback. If you did so but the sender was still able to open a chargeback with their credit card company while the refund was in transit, please contact PayPal and request that the chargeback fee be reviewed. A representative would be able to see the timeline of events and potentially waive the chargeback fee if it is appropriate to do so.

If you did not refund the payment and instead withdrew or spent the received funds, the chargeback fee would be appropriate. Even if the payment was sent to you in error, the sender exercised their right to open a chargeback with their card issuer when the funds were not immediately returned.

If an item were actually sold and you were able to meet the requirements of Seller Protection, the fee would not be yours to pay, but since the payment was not for the sale of goods or services, the chargeback fee would need to be paid.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience that you have experienced based on a payment you were not expecting to receive.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

MJahmarP
Contributor
Contributor

Listen. I am not a seller of any goods/services. I don’t even use my account. The payment was sent by someone I know personally, who then asked me to send it to my bank account and give it back to them in cash. That’s ALL that happened! Then about 2 weeks later, out of nowhere, I get this chargeback and $20 fee for NO **bleep** REASON! I THINK THAT WAS THE SCAM! I’ve talked to PayPal representative on the phone the other day and told them this same story! I just need some help!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @MJahmarP,

I'm sorry to hear that your friend filed a chargeback against you. It does indeed sound like your friend scammed you. The information you've provided about the circumstances surrounding this transaction is a little troubling for other reasons, and I hope to provide some insight to clarify a misconception about the nature of the transaction, and help you protect yourself from further financial loss or even account limitation in the future.

If you knowingly received a payment from that person and gave them cash in return, you provided a service and cash value for the payment you received. I would advise against doing so again for a few reasons. It was likely a means of cash advancing from a credit card, which is prohibited by the PayPal User Agreement. Even if it was not a credit card payment, it is a money service, which is also not allowed as per the Acceptable Use Policy. If it was a Friends and Family payment, accepting a Friends and Family payment for a service is not allowed. Lastly, there was risk involved participating in any transaction that does not meet Seller Protection guidelines, as you have experienced in the form of a chargeback.

For further information about the PayPal User Agreement and the Acceptable Use Policy, please click Legal at the bottom of the PayPal website.

I'm sorry that you experienced the loss that you have experienced from this transaction. I sincerely hope that the information I've provided helps prevent this kind of thing in the future.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

MJahmarP
Contributor
Contributor
Well, if I understood correctly, we’re not allowed to do what I did, and I was not aware. But how can I get my account balance back correct. Will they be able to help me?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @MJahmarP,

If the payment had been covered by PayPal Seller Protection and met the requirements, you would not have experienced loss. Meeting those guidelines makes for a much safer transaction, so PayPal can cover in the much more rare event of loss in those situations. 

Since there are several factors about this payment that do not meet Seller Protection guidelines, I regret that the loss is not something that PayPal can cover, and there is no remedy for this situation through PayPal. I would suggest reaching out to your friend to request reimbursement for the situation.

Olivia

Login to Me Too

MJahmarP
Contributor
Contributor
I tried. What don’t you get about it being a scam?! That makes no sense.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @MJahmarP,

Seller Protection exists to protect against scams, but it has to be followed in order to have the protection afforded. I truly am sorry that you have had this experience. 

Olivia

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.