Potential PayPal Buyer Dispute

NEKenny
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I was hoping for some advice on a potential dispute on PayPal. I know that the COVID-19 has been crazy so its difficult to get a hold of support these days so figured I'd try this instead so here goes..

Around a year ago I forgot my login details to my old PayPal and as a result created this one which at the time was new. I had sold a couple of virtual accounts (gaming related) on a site that buy and sell such things, when I sold them I used my "old" Paypal account then around 3 - 4 months had passed and I thought "why have I got two PayPal accounts being newish to PayPal and this was the first thing I'd ever sold using PayPal I decided to delete my old PayPal account as this one was linked the my more current email address then.... I received a PP charge back from this site claiming they had lost access to the virtual accounts I had sold them, I attempted to help them regain access and was successful but they then said because of this they no longer wanted them so basically forced me into refunding them as this kind of sale is extremely hard to prove that what you sold them is what its supposed to be.

Anyways I to say the least I had some trouble with this buyer (site) at around the same time I sold these virtual accounts that I had all the trouble with I also sold them another (his is before all of the trouble of course) and now over 11 months I think actually over a year now I have received an email from them asking me yet again to help them recover something I sold them. (bare in mind these virtual accounts have security features that these buyers should be utilising to prevent this kind of issue) 

So my question is its been 11, 12 or maybe 13 + months since I sold them the virtual account and I have heard nothing from them all has been fine then out of the blue I get an email from them, because I had so much trouble with them in the past I am extremely worried that they will try to charge back or dispute payment. I wanted to know:

1. Is it possible for them to dispute payment this far down the line?

2. If so what will that involve for me, will I be once again required to refund due to the fact that I cant provide evidence from so long ago? (and how would I even do that on a deleted Paypal account)

3. Also how do I even know if they have disputed the charge as I no longer use that PayPal account or email (its since been deleted upon my request, which in heinsight was more trouble then keeping it active....)

Sorry for the long winded explanation, but if anyone could offer advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_JonK

Hello @NEKenny,

Welcome to our Community Forums! A buyer has up to 180 days to file a dispute on a transaction with PayPal. If a buyer files a dispute with us or their funding source, we will notify you via email as well as open a case for you in your Resolution Center. You will normally have the opportunity to respond and provide documentation regarding the claim. It's always good to know your protections and how far they extend, so here are a few resources you may find useful:

What is the PayPal Seller Protection Policy and what items aren’t covered?

As a seller, how do I prove that I've sent an item to the buyer?

What is a chargeback, and why did I get one?

I hope that helps!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.