Amazon Gift Card

natalia3069
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, I was asked to buy Amazon gift card, send proof of receipt and codes from the back to proceed the payment confirmation on paypal. The guy wanted to buy a jacket I was selling and said that he will send me more money so I will buy first amazon gift card. I dont have any recent activity on paypal and also dont have any money on hold from him. It was suspicious for me because the emails I got were in spam and they were looking a bit weird and fake. Does anyone can help me please and tell what to do? Thanks
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@natalia3069 

SCAM.

No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.
OR
The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send funds via Amazon / Itunes / Vouchers / Codes for multiple reasons that they make up to try and scam you.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram / Western Union / Amazon / Itunes etc etc.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

natalia3069
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for help
Login to Me Too

Mrpike1990
Contributor
Contributor
I have the same sold a fish tank for £130 and the buyer sent £180 now I'm being told I need to buy a £50 Amazon gift card.before funds are released Nd PayPal want a confirmation copy once you buy the email and they can't talk on phone because of Thier job
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mrpike1990 

Yep scam, paypal and amazon are rival companies so would never do that.

If you had received an overpayment then paypal would just tell you to click on the payment in your paypal account and use the refund option at the bottom of the details page to issue a part refund.

However you would not be able to do this with your present so called buyer as no funds would be showing in your paypal balance as they have no intention of paying anything.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.