Seller Protection; what are the best steps to protect yourself?

Glissov
Contributor
Contributor

I'm currently trying to sell a laptop online, I've done some research and there's a lot of horror stories out there about people getting scammed, especially with laptop sales and in many of these cases PayPal is involved because when most people think of the company they feel safe, but are we? Seems that from what I've read of late we're not and PayPal isn't as reputable as I once imagined.

I have read the seller protection user-guide and it's not very detailed in explaining the steps for things like setting up invoices and what to include to protect yourself the best possible way. There's also script that claims buyers are allowed a grace period of 180 days (6 months) to dispute/make a claim. This is bizarre??? Buyers can receive and use goods for 6 months, causing wear and tear and possibly accidental damage and then claim the product doesn't work as intended, how is this looking after sellers? 

There should be, in my humble opinion a more detailed and specified way to ensure the safety/protection of sellers. For example a 5 point checklist; whereby if you fulfil all steps you have some sort of guarantee.

I am no expert but I imagine it would look something like this:
1) Log into you account on the official website or App.
2) Send an invoice clearly describing the product (There should be options to choose from "brand-new", "used-very good condition", "used-some cosmetic damage", "used-severe cosmetic damage but full working order" and "for parts only". Perhaps with an information box below where you can detail the nature of the cosmetic damage.
3) Include the address for delivery in the invoice. (Never change the delivery address after this even if the buyer requests a change/or alternative destination).
4) Before parcelling/boxing your product, take photo and if possible video footage of your product working and from all viewable angles.
5) Send the item recorded delivery with a reputable courier company, make sure to keep a copy of the delivery invoice and collection receipt. 

The biggest issue with disputes seems to be buyers claiming their paypal account was hacked or the bank where the funds are held claiming it was an unauthorised transaction. Surely in this circumstance if someone has not reported their card stolen, its the banks responsibility to reimburse lost funds. There should be a way for paypal to issue a request from the bank where the funds are being withdrawn to check the authenticity of the transaction and the item for sale should not be sent until this process is completed.

Please if you're in the know on anything I've mentioned here, reply and share your thoughts.

I am especially interested in replies that can confirm if my beliefs are substantiated with some sort of evidence, rather than speculation.

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.