Fraud, China, $1.00 Disputed deposits to my PayPal account

rmkyhn
Contributor
Contributor

Unsolicited money, sound great no?  Well in this case, that's a big NO!

In November 2019 I received approximately 159 individual and unsolicited payments of $1.00 USD each to my Paypal account. I called Paypal after the email notification of the first 6 deposits and over the next 48 hours I received approx 153 additional transaction emails from Paypal. Each of the "payers" appeared to be Chinese. Many of the identical deposits were made by the same person but several people were involved. None of these "payments" were related to any selling activity by me.

Obviously, I was very concerned as I smelled a spoofing operation with these unauthorized and likely fraudulent deposits to my Paypal Account and due to concerns about identity theft or god knows what, I did not want to directly engage with these "payer" individuals. I spoke with several Paypal customer service representatives over the first weeks of this activity with the requirement each time of explaining the circumstances of this unusual fraud scheme to each new CS rep. After my patiently waiting for them to investigate this unusual account activity, several CS reps agreed to perform the refund of these unsolicited payments on my behalf and each time I was told that I need not worry as Paypal would address this strange fraud activity on my behalf. Unfortunately they did not and I spent as much as 10 hours on the phone with Paypal in the intervening months. 

The Fraud begins:

After the refunds were issued, each of these payers filed payment disputes with their Bank or credit card companies against me with Paypal for a much larger amount than the original $1.00 USD payment. The disputed amounts were in Euros (varying amounts up to as much as 222.53 Euros). I'm pretty sure China is not a member of the European Union so why dispute the original amount paid in USD in Euros? In any case, now I was dealing with 159 individual disputes filed against me with Paypal for what amounted to thousands of Euros!!!!  Again, I was repeatedly assured by Paypal that this strange activity would not impact my account so not to worry. OK well although uneasy about this I guess it will be handled by my helpful partner Paypal ... right? Well not so much as in January  I receive two emails from Paypal indicating that in 2 of the disputed cases, Paypal actually decided the dispute in favor of the Chinese hacker for a total of $159.63. The disputed amounts were always an odd number like 88.95 Euros but always with an original payment of $1.00 USD  (it should be noted that at this point, I still had 70 dispute cases being investigated by Paypal). This "chargeback" was listed as my owing PayPal the $159.63 on my account and was finally removed yesterday after a full week beyond being given assurances by Paypal it would be immediately removed. This of course required two additional 30-40 minute phone calls. During this painful process, I was not allowed to remove my funding sources from my Paypal account.  I was extremely uneasy having a primary checking account linked to this crazy fraud. I finally just yesterday went to my bank and credit card issuer to have Paypal blocked from conducting any transactions on my Paypal linked accounts.

Many of the CS representatives I spoke to were sympathetic to my plight and did their best to help me but overall, my experience with Paypal during these months has been very negative. I was put on hold for up to 15-20 minutes on many occasions and having to relate the entire story to each new CS rep was frustrating and tedious. One particular CS representative (Nicole) was very rude cutting me off after 29 minutes on the phone. As a very good long term (since 2001) loyal Paypal customer, I expected much more from Paypal. This obvious Fraud situation and Paypal's inability (unwillingness?) to address it necessitating my driving it with many hours I've invested over essentially nothing has seriously shaken my belief in Paypal as a viable online payment method. All this due to unsolicited $1.00 deposits to Paypal using my apparently stolen email address which I assume is everyone's Paypal account name. I'd love to know if anyone else has had a similar experience but it certainly has exposed a vulnerability to PayPal's  modus operandi that needs addressing. I can see scenarios where older more vulnerable people could not handle the responsibility of keeping up with the deluge of activity and hours on the phone with Paypal to protect themselves from this unusual type of fraud.

As the notably rude Nicole (mentioned above) said when I told her I had received 159 $1.00 deposits to my account from Chinese individuals ... "why would they do that"? ... 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

rmkyhn
Contributor
Contributor

This is an update:

I just received am email from Paypal indicating that 3 of these fraudulent claims have now resulted in charge backs to my account. I am not able to eliminate my payment sources nor close my Paypal account. With Covid-19. I can't even call them to dispute these Charge Backs. I am currently blocking any Paypal transactions with my bank and credit card on file at Paypal. 

Here is the email message from Paypal. Note the original refunded amount and the disputed amount discrepancy. 

Hello Robert XXXX,

Your buyer's financial institution has informed us that the following case has been decided in the buyer's favor.

Here are the case details:

• Case ID: PP-D-49041990
  • Buyer's name: (Chinese character name was removed based upon Paypal Policy)
  • Buyer's email: 
  • Buyer's transaction ID: 7H6977212E693032Y
  • Your transaction ID: 2SN40667FD620220C
  • Transaction date: November 22, 2019
  • Transaction amount: $1.00 USD
  • Disputed amount: €71.89 EUR

€70.89 EUR has been debited from your PayPal account because of the following reason(s):

• We did not receive proof of shipment.

We understand that you may not have been expecting this chargeback. If this debit has made your PayPal account balance to go negative, please log in to your PayPal account and add money to your balance.

Thank you for your patience during this process. We appreciate your business. 

You can find additional information and tips about buying and selling safely on our Business Resource Center.

It is amazing that Paypal neglects their clients on such a straight forward fraud scheme. Caveat Emptor!!! 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rmkyhn 

No idea if this will work due to Covid-19 situation but I suggest opening a case with bbb.org under PayPal San Jose CA to get PayPal Office of Executive Escalations to review your account. Or contact an PayPal executive on twitter or something. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

rmkyhn
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, BBB is a good idea ... anyway that I can get the attention of Paypal would be helpful. The normal channels simply have not worked.

Login to Me Too

Bayougirlz
New Community Member

I have a .10 deposit not connected to busines but on my personal account. How did you resolve this?

Login to Me Too

rmkyhn
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bayougirlz,

The BBB suggestion above did get the desired result and all 159 disputed charges cases against me were finally dropped. Unfortunately, you have to contact Paypal and get their asisitence. If I were you, I'd call Paypal, get them to refund the charge and close the Paypal account ASAP. You could open another account with a different email. If this is a similar scam, once they have you engaged with your current account email, they will make more deposits. Later they will dispute the ammount with their bank and you will be forced to go through what I did and trust me, you don't want that. Good Luck! 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.