Am I getting scammed on Gumtree?

Novitix
New Community Member

Hi

I was messaged by a lady on Gumtree. She asked me to drop an email so her friend who was interested could contact me. All good. I give her my email.

Her "friend" emails me and says she lives in South Australia and is buying the furniture for her new house in Victoria. She's unable to pick it up directly and will arrange for a pickup agent to come. She will pay me through PayPal prior to the pickup.

I agreed to this, but she sent me an email later saying that she owed the pickup agent $100 and wants to pay me $100 on top of the furniture cost via PayPal. I would then pay the agent $100 by "cash or gift card" when they come for pickup.

This sounds like a scam to me, but I'm not completely sure. Thoughts?

This is the message she sent me.

Hi

I really need your help please

I made the pickup agreement with the pickup agent and was charged $100 for the pickup and delivery.

I want to add the fee to your PayPal payment so that you can help me to complete the pickup agent payment by cash or gift card when he arrives for pickup. I hope you understand me?
Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.