Security Codes being sent

SGoodman
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings,

I keep receiving text messages saying "Your security code is: [code] Your code expires in 5 minutes. Please don't reply."

Is someone trying to log into my account? How can I stop this?

I've already changed my password.

Thanks,

Shane.

Login to Me Too
71 REPLIES 71

bkenn84
Contributor
Contributor
Jon does the fact that I’m receiving security code texts when I didn’t attempt to login or use PayPal mean that whoever tried my account got past the password or facial recognition phase?
Login to Me Too

bkenn84
Contributor
Contributor
Odd because all of my security codes are 6 digits.
Login to Me Too

NonNtt

I have been receiving the same random text messages as if I had asked for two -step verification.

I didn't even try to login should so why am I / we getting these?

Here's why:

PayPal made a (bad) decision to allow a user to login a) with a password or b) by asking for and receiving a text message with a 6 digit code.

(Users can also choose to always have a two-step verification even the do sign in with a password which is good.)

But many people now choose to just get code to login - no PW required!

They might not want to login with their password or maybe have forgotten it. I'll take the code! It's easier!

Well it's also easier for the bad guys.

Now cyber crooks/bot can simply have your email and select "send me a code" versus using a password.

PayPal  thought they were "helping" users by making logging in easier, have in fact built a new 

gateway for cyber criminals. Thanks PayPal! ITS NOT CONVENIENT when someone is trying to hack my account now by requesting 

a text instead of using a password and it's NOT ME!

Horrible security situation that PayPal created here. If they have my email and a stingray device, they 

can get in. 

PayPal should stop this option and force password login (fairly common - duh) and THEN ask for a 2nd verification via text.

Astonishing that what was (formerly) a fairly secure and hassle-free payment system, just voluntarily made their system much more vulnerable for users.

Bad call PayPal.  

Oh wait....I just another text providing me my 6 digit code that I didn't request for the second time today.

Login to Me Too

NonNtt

I have been receiving the same random text messages as if I had asked for two -step verification.

I didn't even try to login should so why am I / we getting these?

Here's why:

PayPal made a (bad) decision to allow a user to login a) with a password or b) by asking for and receiving a text message with a 6 digit code.

(Users can also choose to always have a two-step verification even the do sign in with a password which is good.)

But many people now choose to just get code to login - no PW required!

They might not want to login with their password or maybe have forgotten it. I'll take the code! It's easier!

Well it's also easier for the bad guys.

Now cyber crooks/bot can simply have your email and select "send me a code" versus using a password.

PayPal  thought they were "helping" users by making logging in easier, have in fact built a new 

gateway for cyber criminals. Thanks PayPal! ITS NOT CONVENIENT when someone is trying to hack my account now by requesting 

a text instead of using a password and it's NOT ME!

Horrible security situation that PayPal created here. If they have my email and a stingray device, they 

can get in. 

PayPal should stop this option and force password login (fairly common - duh) and THEN ask for a 2nd verification via text.

Astonishing that what was (formerly) a fairly secure and hassle-free payment system, just voluntarily made their system much more vulnerable for users.

Bad call PayPal.  

Oh wait....I just another text providing me my 6 digit code that I didn't request for the second time today.

Login to Me Too

iiimilenkoiii
New Community Member

Why would I need to change my password when someone is just trying to reset my email and guess my password. That makes zero since. Obviously they don’t have my password and cannot guess it. Better advice would be 2 way authentication would be the best option to secure your account if someone was making paypal to send me security code.

Login to Me Too

yrg
Contributor
Contributor

This is happening to me. Just happened 2 times in a row and again 30 minutes later. I'm concerned and don't know what to do to secure my account, if necessary.

Login to Me Too

yrg
Contributor
Contributor

Update: I added two-factor authentication and I didn't receive any more texts. So I think that may have fixed it.

Login to Me Too

bkenn84
Contributor
Contributor
I had the same weeks ago. Went on over 10-14 days. I went into my account profile and setup a passkey and did NOT change my password because it’s strong and I already had two factor authentication. Haven’t seen a security code notification since.
Login to Me Too

datacreed
Contributor
Contributor
Side info. Documenting here. I placed my first order on Temu using my Paypal account on 2024-01-22.
Probably a bad idea.
Received two unknown texted security codes since that time, 2024-01-29 and 2024-01-27. Suspect that I will get more. I'm going to go ahead and point the finger at security breach attempts from this activity. Just a guess.
Login to Me Too

sdmf74
Contributor
Contributor
"----- Is your security code. Don't share your code". This is the text message I just recieved. PayPal doesn't care
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.