Major security flaw - the system keeps re-enabling auto login even after I keep turning it off

j_a_s
Contributor
Contributor

I've been dealing with customer support all day over this issue and they say they can do nothing but I want to raise it here as well since it's a major security flaw. Paypal is a financial site and therefore security controls should be very strong. I always log out whenever I complete a transaction and I never click the "stay logged in" button that's always presented. Now, every time I log in, I get an email saying "We've made it easier for you to check out with PayPal. Since we recognize this device, we'll automatically log you in so you can skip typing your password at checkout! ... If this is a shared device, or you don't want us to automatically log you in, we recommend that you turn this feature off." I go in and manually turn the feature off. Then the next time I log in to make a transaction, I get the same email again, the feature is re-enabled again, and I have to go in to manually turn it off again. This is totally unacceptable. I'm the only one who should be able to determine if my device is trusted and and if I want to enable auto login. I was told that there's nothing they can do and that I'll simply have to manually disable the feature every time. This is a major security flaw and it's a big deal. I was told that my concern has been escalated but I'm posting this here in the hopes of raising the visibility of this issue. Thanks. 

Login to Me Too
116 REPLIES 116

Sumwunelse
Contributor
Contributor

Sounds like the FCA haven't understood the problem. It's not an issue of keeping your data safe. It's an issue of Paypal changing your security settings and keeping your account (and therefore your money) unsafe if your device was stolen/misplaced. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Sumwunelse, @worf2, and @j_a_s,

Thank you all for your posts. I'm sorry to hear that your One Touch autologin was reenabled after turning it off. I'll be happy to help.

If you have opted to remove On Touch but it has re-enabled, please complete the disconnection steps again and then clear cookies and cache in any browsers used to access the site. It sounds like there may be a cookie that caused it to reenable.

Additionally, when conducting any transactions in the future, ensure that the "stay logged in" option is not enabled.   

I hope this is helpful in ensuring that On Touch is deactivated.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

worf2
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, been there, done that, no help. Tried other browsers inluding Duckduckgo (no cookies).

Your method of disabling doesnt relate to menu available on my account (UK). There is no mention of "one touch" anywhere. 

If you mean 

SKIP EXTRA APPROVALS FOR FASTER PAYMENTS

Then what you get there is a popup that is blank apart from "companies" and "contacts" . Clicking on either of these produces no results.

Why is it that it is always somebody elses fault?? Read some of the other comments on this thread.

PLEASE REMOVE THIS STUPID FEATURE. I NEVER ASKED FOR IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Login to Me Too

Sumwunelse
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Olivia,

As above, we have all attempted the 'solutions' offered without success.

I'm not using Onetouch, whatever that is.

Every time I make a purchase, Paypal changes my security settings without my consent and makes my account vulnerable to unauthorised users.

PLEASE STOP DOING THIS!

Login to Me Too

EilaGoss
Contributor
Contributor

Several years on and this issue does not appear to have been fixed!

Login to Me Too

AC987
New Community Member

I have been using Paypal for more than 15 years now and this issue is about to cause me to close my account 

Login to Me Too

JPT3
Contributor
Contributor

It's December 2023 and this continues to happen and their response is always the same "login and turn it off" which I do everytime.

I've been complaining about it for over a year. 

Here are some responses from Paypal

-------------------------------------------------

If you would like to opt out of the single single sign on, here is how.

Then choose Profile Settings.    In your profile there is a section named   "Stay logged in for faster purchases"

Once you go into this section you can  turn off the  ONE TOUCH service on all your devices.

I hope this info helps.

Have a good day!

Sincerely,

Dean

-----------------------------------------------------

Why do I need to login to turn off AUTO LOGIN that was TURNED ON by PAYPAL?!?

Does that even make sense?!?

It does not.

I've made a purchase. Five minutes later Paypal turns ON Auto Login and emails me about it. I have to RE LOG IN to turn it OFF.

Totally counter-intuitive.

WTF?!!

------------------------------------------------------

Hello, J

Thanks for the note.

In review of your logins today, the account was not logged in using the one touch  or auto login service of PayPal.

This typically means it is occurring on the browser or a device setting.

Here is my recommendation since I see you are using Google Chrome as your browser.

Open your Google Chrome browser, and click the 3 dots on the far top right.    Then scroll down and click  SETTINGS.    From your Settings section  choose AUTOFILL and PASSWORDS.

Then choose PASSWORD MANAGER.   Google has a default settings that automatically will log you into websites.   Toggle the AUTO SIGN IN or SIGN IN AUTOMATICALLY  so that it is GREY and NOT BLUE.

Also in the Password Manager section if you see PayPal's website  listed below in your saved passwords, you can delete these on Google.

I hope this helps with your issue.

Thank you for contacting us.

-------------------------------------------------------

Screen Shot 2023-12-16 at 7.22.02 AM.png

Each time it happens, they close the ticket I open and state that one is already open which never gets addressed. I found this thread as a last ditch effort to bring attention to this. It is CLEARLY a security breach because it turns this on ON any device you make a transaction from, even if it's a public one. This is b.s. and Paypal clearly does NOT care. 

Are they trying to destroy themselves?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.