E-mail from PayPal every time I log in.

Iddy3
Contributor
Contributor

Why, whenever I login to PayPal, do I get an e-mail advising 'We noticed a new device login' when I only log in on my own desk-top computer?

Also, why does it show middlesbrough mdb uk? [A new device logged in to your PayPal account, xxxx@hotmail - middlesbrough mdb uk - date & time]

Login to Me Too
59 REPLIES 59

SR666
Contributor
Contributor

It's now over a year since your post and I'm getting the same thing. I only use the phone registered with my account, yet PayPal frequently make me reply with a texted code to log in...then hours later tell me it was suspicious because it was a new device. Also, they make me worry if I've been hacked because they often say the log in was from an area a few miles from where I actually am. An additional issue I see with this is that we made get so used to this glitch that when they really do flag a hacker we may just dismiss it as another error. Sandy [removed] esquire

Login to Me Too

mrsmorris
Contributor
Contributor

I have noticed this happens after an iPhone or PC Windows update. Locations seem to vary but never the region where I live and both the above are trusted devices. An explanation of why this happens would be appreciated. I find it worrying as feel like maybe been hacked!!!!!

Login to Me Too

Noboots
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem - I've noticed it during the past few months.   I have used the same computer for years but now I have to go through the unnecessary and time wasting texted codes, inputting them once and sometimes twice when making a transfer.  No help on the website, so far no help from customer services.  I use Paypal mostly to pay for Royal Mail collections or to transfer payments into my bank account.  I have RM on my 'Quicker payment' list but this makes not difference.   Has anyone else been given a resolution?

Login to Me Too

Nixtrix
Contributor
Contributor

There is obviously a 'glitch' in your security set-up! PAYPAL please sort this most annoying thing or risk losing customers????

Login to Me Too

MsP3
New Community Member
I've noticed this too! Worrying
Login to Me Too

GillBi
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, that's annoying. I haven't had it happen to me for the last week or so, so I thought it had been fixed.

Login to Me Too

UnexpectedP
New Community Member

Mine is doing the same. Really annoying. On the same device, no VPN or anything like that.

“If you're using an incognito window, or you cleared your cookies and cache between logins” no haven’t done that.

or if you have cookies turned off for the PayPal site in your browser, this may also affect how PayPal interprets your login.”  cookies are on.

Login to Me Too

NeilG4
Contributor
Contributor

I too have this problem. How do I check whether cookies are turned on or off for PayPal in Chrome?

Login to Me Too

Katster997

I have been having the same issue in the past weeks. While I have been using PayPal from this device for 2 years, during the last 2 transactions (booking tickets), I received this worrying email from PayPal that there was a login with a device, whose address has nothing to do with either me or the vendor (different every time). The email was sent at the very time of the transaction. I am not sure if these are real threats...

Login to Me Too

SR666
Contributor
Contributor
I just had an email from PayPal saying this is an ongoing problem that many people are experiencing and they are trying to find out why this is happening. Since this thread began over a year ago this isn't very reassuring! The worst thing about it is we may assume fraud alerts are always a mistake and grow to ignore them.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.