Cannot change or remove phone number.

phillwv
Contributor
Contributor

Have 2 mobile numbers added, one each under 'Home' & 'Mobile' and want to remove the 'Mobile' number (no longer operational).

No option to remove mobile as it wants another ph # and won't accept the home number as it's already used as... the home number! 

Following the help doco, there is no option to edit, swap, or change when number is 'tapped' 

On a PC using Edge browser.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@phillwv 

https://www.paypal.com/au/cshelp/article/how-do-i-add-and-confirm-change-or-remove-a-phone-number-on...

• To remove a phone number, tap the number, scroll down, and tap remove. (You can only remove a phone number if you have at least two added to your PayPal account.)

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

phillwv
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for the reply. Appreciated.
I seem to be in a catch-22 situation. I have two phone numbers, both mobiles. One is under "home" phone and the other is under "mobile." I cannot add either to the other in order to delete the original, because I get the message "This phone number already exists on your account."
And, of course, I cannot delete either from its category unless I add another - it would seem that I need to buy a third phone to get around this apparent gotcha.
It's like the web page designer never tried this themselves.

Am I missing something?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @phillwv

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community! I'm very sorry to hear of the situation you've experienced adding a number. It is not possible to remove a mobile number without a new mobile number added. If you've already designated a mobile number as your home number, you will need the assistance of Customer Service to add it to the correct section. If you no longer have any mobile number, the old number cannot be removed.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

phillwv
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Olivia. 

This at least confirms I'm in a 'no-solution' situation with regards old numbers.

I was also going to question the designations "home" and "mobile" and what purpose does "home" serve. I do actually have a third phone, and it's my actual home phone - the "landline" - which I was unable to add because it was rejected due to it being a VoIP number. Well, it used to be a hard-wired copper line, but like every such phone in the country, it's now via fibre, and hence VoIP.

Then there's the issue with 2FA. Since PayPal ceased using the physical card to generate a key, I've been forced to reluctantly use the relatively insecure SMS. I've now lost that facility by trying to change to a different phone, due to, per in the original question, that number no longer being available. 

You needn't respond to these multiple issues as there appears to be no resolution. I just need to air them here in frustration. 

Kind Regards, Phil.

Login to Me Too

GrandpaG

The only way I've found to do this is to use the Paypal Assistant (online chatbot). You can get to the Assistant through the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. Reply Remove Phone and you'll be prompted through the process.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.