Having two accounts with same email address

geraldF
New Community Member

First, I had a PayPal account set up with my email address, and I used this account for years.

Recently, I received a transaction to this email address via PayPal, but I couldn't find it on the PayPal app which I already had my account logged in. When I clicked claim your money button in the email PayPal sent to me, I couldn't log in on that page, and when I tried to reset password it told me I don't have an account with that address. Then I registered an account on that webpage to claim my money with the same email.  Eventually, when I finished the process my PayPal app automatically logged out my first account. Now, although I claimed the money successfully, I cannot log in to my old account any more.

I am guessing the reason is that maybe my old account is from another region(I am not sure because I cannot log in to check it), and the money is sent from a different region so I need to create a new account to receive it. 

All I want to know now is that is my old account permanently closed? How can I confirm its status? If it isn't closed, how can I close it? I don't want to have an account which I cannot access.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_RachelK

Hi @geraldF,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post!

I do understand your concern with this. Firstly, you can only have one PayPal account per email address. If you already had a PayPal account created with an email address, you would not be able to open another account with the same email, even if the region is different. 

Unless you closed your account, it would still be open. PayPal would not close an account without you authorizing. The best thing to do to resolve your issue would be to contact our customer support. They would be able to assist you with accessing your old account, and help locate your payment. 

To contact our customer support, simply click here.

I hope this helps!

- Rachel 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.