Unsatisfied Customer - Paypal failed to protect me

Unsatisfied2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all, I was curious if anyone else has dealt with a situation like this.  Approximately a little under year ago, my paypal was hacked and hit with mass unauthorized purchases from Itunes over a period of about three months.  I have never had my apple id attached to my paypal account, so whoever hacked my account purchased a ton of music.  I didn't notice at the time as I have a very high stress freelance career and it flew under the radar.  Recently, I had another account issue which I reported, that prompted me to look back and that is when I noticed the Itunes charges.  I called the next day and reported those as well.  Now here comes the strange part. Two different customer service representatives have told me over the phone that they can go back over a year to take care of a dispute, yet I keep receiving emails telling me they can't go back more than 180 days.  Paypal never sent me anything regarding the odd activity on my account, like basically every other company, if you could see the mass Itunes charges you would see how odd they are. 

Whether its over the 180 days or not I feel like Paypal should take responsibility for their failure to protect my money.  I have had nothing but good dealings with them in my four years as a customer, but personally I no longer feel safe staying with them if they are not even going to try and investigate the situation. There are many other options out there these days and it seems like problems like this are becoming more and more common. 

A very unsatisfied Customer

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Unsatisfied2

From paypals user agreement  >>>

To be eligible for 100% protection for Unauthorized Transactions or Other Errors in your Account, you must notify us within 60 Days after any Unauthorized Transaction or Other Error first appears in your Account statement. If you do not notify us within 60 days, you may not get back any money you lost after the 60 days if we can prove that we could have stopped someone from taking the money if you had notified us in time. We will extend the 60 Day time period if a good reason, such as a hospital stay, kept you from notifying us within 60 Days.

You should regularly log into your Account and review your Account statement to ensure that there has not been an Unauthorized Transaction or Other Error. PayPal will also send an email to the primary email address you have provided in order to notify you of each transaction from your Account, unless you have opted out of receiving certain notifications. You should also review these transaction confirmations to ensure that each transaction was authorized and is accurate.

So not only did you not check your account regularly but you also did not notify them within 60 days.

Not sure why its paypals fault that you did not check your account or file in time, you only have one account to look after and they have millions. And why do you think they would think it unusual for you to download a lot of music??

Paypal were quite happy to protect your money, all you had to do was tell them within TWO months that it had happened, and you did not. They give you the protection but its up to you to use it in time.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Unsatisfied2
Contributor
Contributor
Well Kernowlass, while I appreciate the response, I can't say I appreciate the tone. In any case, They may have millions of accounts, but does that make mine less important? Most card companies will alert you when odd activity takes place, and these charges would be considered odd by most any other company, as I have experienced this before. And please, as a volunteer, don't tell me they are happy to protect my money, you only have to google the company and you'll find thousands of examples where they haven't.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Unsatisfied2

No what you did not like was not getting sympathy and having someone disagree with you.

Sorry but thats the way it goes, I pointed out paypals user agreement and why if you can't keep an eye on your own account you expect them to do so for you.

Well they don't do that BUT they will get you your money back, in fact they gave you 2 MONTHS to collect it but you did not choose to do so.

Any company has rules and regs and even a credit card rarely will help you after 6 months.

And paypal would have given you notification because if you have your settings correct you would have had a texts and emails per transaction.

They are happy to protect your money IF you do your bit also by keeping an eye on your account AND checking your buys and sales AND notifying them of anything unusual activity.

They are not your nanny.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Unsatisfied2
Contributor
Contributor
It must be lonely at the top Kernowles, do you enjoy talking down to people that are dealing with a situation? I came here for information, which I have received, but you can keep the attitude. In any case, on to the next step. Unauthorized charges are still unauthorized charges any way you slice it, I'll be moving along to the next step in the search for justice and will leave you to your dead forum. Best, Unsatisfied
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Unsatisfied2

You came here moaning about paypal.

I merely stated the truth in my post to you.

YOU were the one with attitude as you did not like hearing the FACTS.

Yep unauthorised charges are just that AND you would have had your money back by now if you had just filed a dispute.

Byeeeee

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

pumpkinpatch12
New Community Member

Understand your stress over this. THere might be a notice from paypal that users should check their accounts every 60 days but I don't know where that would be.

Login to Me Too

pumpkinpatch12
New Community Member

Wow! I have seldom checked my paypal account. Is there something warning customers that that is the rule?.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

No but everyone should do their due diligence in reading the user agreement and the help FAQs.  It's no secret, it can be found on the bottom of pretty much every page of PayPal.  No lawyer lingo and easy enough to understand.  It's a great starting point of reference should a problem occur if users don't want to read it all in one sitting although I do recommend that.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

REMOVALDOG
Contributor
Contributor

I just had an idea...it's no secret that we have a problem with scammers on eBay, but it's a problem that goes WAY deeper than many may think, because I believe eBay are involved.

Ebay will simply look the other way, and, in so doing POCKET 10%...the Final Value Fee, yet what about PAYPAL?. No scam would be complete without a payment, and 99.9% of the time, we are talking PAYPAL, so what is PayPal doing to prevent it?

The eBay forum has T's & C's designed to strangle ANY attempt to advise or warn honest ebayers about scammers, as it is said to be against the rules to "Name and Shame", no matter what...BEAutiful, anyway...Now eBay and PayPal are no longer joined at the hip, are we allowed to give details of user names on THIS site, or does PayPal also protect (and pay-out) scammers?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.