Can't open a dispute?

oldfoundation
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased a ring from a seller over ebay. Paid through paypal and not as a personal transaction/gift thing. The ring that I recieved was absolutely nothing like the ring advertised and I've been trying to open a dispute over the purchase. However when I try to open a dispute with paypal, the error I recieve is this:

eBay Money Back Guarantee only covers items purchased from 01 Nov, 2014. If you paid with PayPal, you may be eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection.

I purchased this ring on the 25th of October, and recieved it just yesterday. Which seems odd that I could only be covered from the 1st of November.So I buy into the error and come on over to paypal where I try to dispute the transaction, and the error I receive from PayPal is this:

This transaction cannot be disputed. Please go to the eBay Resolution Centre to review the program details for information on what to do next.

What am I supposed to do with this infinite loop? At the end of the day the ring I purchased was nothing like what was advertised, and it was only purchased a month ago and was delivered today? Is there something I'm not getting about this situation? The transaction was completed the day I ordered it and was posted out a few days afterwards. What's going on? 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_david

Hi there Oldfoundation,

Welcome to the Community!

I can understand that it can be frustrating when you have received an item that was not the one that was advertised.

If you are facing difficulties when trying to open a dispute on your eBay account, you can file the dispute through your PayPal account and we can investigate this further for you.

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment (or 45 days depending on when you made the purchase) if:

• You don’t receive the item
  • You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. We'll review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to UK Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Near the bottom of the page, under 'More about your account', click Resolve a problem in our Resolution Centre.
  3. Click Dispute a Transaction.
  4. Select ‘Item dispute’ and click Continue.
  5. Click the Find transaction ID. A new window displays your transaction history.
  6. Click the Transaction ID you want to dispute.
  7. Click Continue and follow the instructions.

Note:

• Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
  • Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

I hope this information helps,

David.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.