SCARED - PLEASE help - Dispute - customer pick up

teddy123
New Community Member

Please help me! I have sold and bought on ebay forever. Recently I sold a ukelele for 400+. The customer requested a pick up, I said yes. We met and he looked it over. It was a beautiful uke. He seemed happy and left with the item. He then called me an hour later claiming it had a 2 inch crack in it. I was shocked, this was in perfect condition when I left him with it. I requested pictures. He emailed me them. The pictures showed a large crack. I even rechecked my photos from the listing. There were no cracks. He wants half of his money back and has filed a claim. I just cannot justify a refund. By doing that - would the escalated claims department look poorly on me. It just is not fair.  PLEASE give me your opinion on how I should handle this. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

troy1967
Contributor
Contributor

You have two things going in your favor, and one thing going against you.  One, you have the pictures that you can compare (if, in fact, you can).  Two, you have the idea that your buyer wants only 1/2 a refund, which implies partial guilt on his part.  Use that against the buyer.

What you have going against you is Paypal itself.  Paypal almost always sides with the buyer.  Good luck.

Login to Me Too

BigKahuna97
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

To me the main thing going against you (the seller) is you have zero ability to prove the customer picked the item up so if he was to file a chargeback or item not received claim he would be more than likely awarded the benefit of the doubt.  Do you have the address of the buyer from the PP form?  Have you considered asking to come to his house to pick the item up for a refund?  

This sounds like the buyer is at fault somewhere.....or just a possible scammer.  The whole I bought an item and now want a partial refund is getting too common these days and is completely wrong.  Anytime you meet someone in person to exchange an item I recommend ONLY accepting cash as there is no future problem from that point on.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.