Paypal sides with buyer! DON'T USE PAYPAL

pibrew
Contributor
Contributor

The case that was opened against me was pitiful. I listed an auction on Ebay, the buyer paid for it using his credit card, I shipped it, the buyer gave me positive feedback and then 6 weeks later disputed the charges saying it was not authorized???  THE BUYER authorized it!!!!!  He used HIS credit card...I was not holding a gun to his head MAKING him pay for it.

The buyer was NEVER saying he didn't receive the item, but was saying even though HE entered his credit card information that it was not authorized!  ARE YOU KIDDING ME????  Of course, Paypal took his side on it.

I now have since tried to make contact with the buyer to get my item back and guess what???  HE WON'T RESPOND TO ME!!!!!!!!  So, now I guess I am out of luck.  Where is Paypal when I need MY rights looked after????  Oh...I know...they buyer is ALWAYS right!

I can't tell you how frustrated I am, but this buyer committing out and out fraud and Paypal HELPS him do it!  UNBELIEVABLE....stop and think about it.  PAYPAL IS HELPING PEOPLE COMMIT FRAUD!!!

PAYPAL IS HELPING PEOPLE COMMIT FRAUD!!!

PAYPAL IS HELPING PEOPLE COMMIT FRAUD!!!

Thanks for nothing Paypal.

Robert 

Login to Me Too
38 REPLIES 38

pibrew
Contributor
Contributor

ZM...I c an't imagine.  Mine was only $575...can't believe yours!

Paypal is for sure siding with criminals and I guess there is nothing that can be done baout it.  It is an absolute joke the way they go about their business.  I used to use Paypal for all of my sales, but will NEVER use them again as they have proven that they will side with the scammer almost every time.

Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

I am not familiar with the use of Paypro stores, but you still should be able to put a block on these user ids to not be able to buy. Then if you suspect someone of being one of them under another id, you can report that, and if it is one of them, eBay will connect them. I have many buyer ids blocked from over the last 8 years, people who just were too hard to deal with and those who actually did things, and those I suspected would do things. There are too many buyers to take a chance with those you suspect or who have done wrong to you before. You may have already blocked them, but if not, you should.

Is there any other place in another state of just this place in Florida where they are coming from? This makes me wonder if it is just some in Florida now if (just for now until you have some peace) it is possible to block residents of Florida. I have not looked at all of the reasons for blocking, so I don't know if that is possible or not.

I wish you the very best and I do hope you get your $5,000 back. That is really terrible. I am very glad I do not have items priced high enough that I could lost that much in 25 sales.

Login to Me Too

ZM
Contributor
Contributor

So far all the cases have cities of Doral and Miami FL, and from Venezuela   After those crazy chargeback cases I have setup that all funds from Venezuela need my review and approval before it even processed.  And I am manually screen all address in US.  As I mentioned before, there are at least 10 more orders from these scammers after all the chargeback cases.  These people are crazy and absoultely criminals.

I have a question - so if I switch to other credit card processor rather than using paypal - in case of dispute like this, will it be way better as they won't just withdraw money from my account? 

Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

I see no one else has responded, and I do hope that someone who really knows will. REALLY KNOWS!! Not just a guess.

What about calling your bank to set up a merchant's account with them? You can only use a merchant account or the others eBay allows which are listed in their policies, and most have holds on your funds for a period of time. A merchant account  would also avoid any future holds on funds by Paypal should that be something that happens to your account in the future.If it has not happened, it could for various reasons and not necessarily something major. You don't want to give that a thought now since keeping your money safe is your first priority.

Not saying that you do, but anyone on here who is interested in a merchant account and does not have good credit, they are online. I believe they charge a monthly fee, but sellers would have more control over their funds.

Login to Me Too

Sunshine37923
Contributor
Contributor

I was very saddened and upset to hear of your post and problem with charge backs/disputed charges.  I realize that in the Fall of 2010 that credit card limits changed as well as some terms and conditions.

I have a few questions for you.  How do you know the same credit card number was used each time?  Was it a PAYPAL Debit/Credit card?  Usually, at the time of a sale via ebay this is protected information and not give out to the seller.

Second, credit card companies would allow a consumer to contest a charge over the phone (after receiving their statement via mail or via an on line statement), but they also had to provide in writing within 30 days why the charge was not a valid charge (I had to do this myself years ago with American Express and they sided on my side, but I had to provide documentation).

Third, are you getting a real signature from someone--signature confirmation/certified mail/insured mail piece/ or registered mail--that does require a signature.  Delivery confirmation DOES NOT require a signature and the buyer can always say they did not get the item and that if it was delivered, it was delivered to the wrong address/person.

You might be able to check to see if there is a credit reporting agency in your state (if different than the state that you shipped the items) or your state's equivalency.  There may be an issue of interstate commerce fraud.

I can't comprehend how after months, PAYPAL and a credit card company would do such little investigation to side with a scammer.  With most credit card companies, you and your spouse can be on the same account and perhaps even an offspring.  BUT...it sounds as if you are talking about numerous people with different names and different addresses with the same credit card number.  On the surface, that makes one wonder if it might be a credit card number that belongs to an idenity theft victim.  All the charge backs and all the fees associated with each charge back is unbelievable!  If I were you, I would retain an attorney and take the credit card company to court in your state (where you were harmed)--Small Claims Court if the limit reaches $5,000.00--each state has a different "CAP" on how much you can seek restitution.

AND as a footnote, perhaps the credit card company may not even be real but a BOGUS one which would allow them to authorize the payment and then turn around after statement received and 30 day time

@ZM wrote:

I totally agree that paypal and credit companies did not look into the matter in depth.  Same thing happened to me - but with a group of obvious scammers rather than just one.  They used different identities and addresses (in the same area and zip code) to make over 25 purchases in 3 months,  then about 2 months after the purchases, they filed UNAUTHORIZED CHARGEABLE cases for all of them.  I have tracking and delivered proof for ALL the packages. 

During the process of the case investigation, some of the scammers use the SAME credit card to buy again!  I provided those additional evidences to paypal telling them that those people are using the same card to purchase again during the investigation period.  Isn't is if you found out that you card has been used "unauthorized", you will cancel your card immediately???  Would you still keep the card and still use the same card knowing that someone is using it "unauthorized"??  This are obviously scams!! 

So I have been receiving UNAUTHORIZED CHARGEBACK cases everyday for 2 months straight since April this year from "different buyers".  And finally all cases have been closed last week - TOTAL OF over $4,500 ALL BUYERS WINNING THE CASES!! In addition, I have to pay $20 per case so for over 25 cases I have lost an additional $500!!! 

I understand about the terms and conditions that we agreed when signing up for paypal service.  However I am still very disappointed at paypal and the credit card companies the effort of their study as I truly don't believe this is really "unauthorized" as they keep using the card over and over again, even during the dispusing process!! 

If paypal and credit card companies looked into this more in depth - can't they find out the similarities of the transactions:

1. Whole bunch of people in the same area all have their cards stolen at the same time and they all arrange to file chargeback together at the same time??

2. Say if it's a "real" stolen card case - will the owner of the card just keep the card active expose himself to more risk for more unauthorized chargebacks? Isn't that common sense to cancel the card right away after the first notification of "unauthorized" transaction?

3. All packages are tracked and signed - will someone spend the time to investigate the address and the receivers signature before deciding that it's the sellers' responsibilities for the scams??

PS: Today I receive one more order by these people again!!  They still keep trying!!

frame to contest charge, still be allowed to do a charge back.

I would definitely check with the Better Business Bureau in your state to see if others have filed complaints.  And you might want to consider to file a police report if they have your product without the benefit of paying for all your items.

Best of luck to you!!!

Login to Me Too

Sunshine37923
Contributor
Contributor

p.s.  Two other options to consider...everyone has cell phones with the ability to take photographs and and then e-mail a photograph of a credit card to another country...they can either replicate those valid numbers and add a different name as the user or they can do a credit check, if FICO score is excellent request a new credit card in original name and add other names and list a different "bill to" address.  The original owner of the original card with the excellent FICO score has NO idea they have another credit card because it is not in their possession and they are not getting statements at their original billing address.  PLUS, with a high FICO score that means a very high credit limit.  Maybe I am paranoid, but there are a lot of bogus buyers out there willing to harm sellers any way they can.   AGAIN, the very best to you!!!!

Login to Me Too

ZM
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply Sunshine.

These people have different credit cards to do these transcations as I have their credit info via  the credit card checkout (Vitrual Terminal) within paypal.  So paypal definitely have their card information.  But then few people from that "group" are attempting to make few tries after the first success.  Also they protested the charges some of them beyond  30 days, which I have no clue how they do that.  What I know is one day all of a sudden a big amount of $ were withdrawn from my paypal account saying the are several chargeback cases opened against my account. 

The packages were sent via Priority Mail or Express Mail (not it becomes obvious why they upgrade their shipping!!).  These only provides delivery confirmation.  However, as a seller, it's not common at all to have all packages having signature confirmation.  Besides of the majority DORAL, FL addresseses, there were a few scammers also made the purcahse using same personal information but sending the packages to Venezuela.  So I believe that's where these scammers are from from a logical study of all the evidences. 

I will definitely look into getting an attorney and see if there's any chance I can win over this.  This really hurts and hope I don't have to pay a lot more for the attorney. 

PS: Last month I have enrolled the "upgrade" security option at Paypal which will check the security code and billing address confirmation before the credit card even go through.  Cost $20/month + 20 cents per transaction for this feature!

Login to Me Too

Bent0ver

Paypal must be getting a kickback from some of these losers.  I (buyer) purchased auto parts, recieved partial (damaged) shipment, returned recieved & cancelled backordered.  US Auto Parts (seller) refused to refund the money I paid.  Filed dispute, later escalated to Claim.  Paypal ruled in favor of a dirty seller.  I am out $100 & have absolutely NOTHING to show for it.

WTF HAPPENED TO PAYPAL?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Bent0ver wrote:

Paypal must be getting a kickback from some of these losers.  I (buyer) purchased auto parts, recieved partial (damaged) shipment, returned recieved & cancelled backordered.  US Auto Parts (seller) refused to refund the money I paid.  Filed dispute, later escalated to Claim.  Paypal ruled in favor of a dirty seller.  I am out $100 & have absolutely NOTHING to show for it.

WTF HAPPENED TO PAYPAL?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

And what type of claim did you file an INR or SNAD.  Sounds like you file an INR , which was wrong.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.