PayPal buyer protection is a false advertisement

ifratos70
Contributor
Contributor

I bought a product and I paid  $39.98  but the seller sent a different product worth $10.

I opened a dispute  and PayPal decided  to send back to the seller the wrong product .

Shipping cost to China with tracking number is about $20.

I lose in any situation and PayPal does nothing to help me so they claimed buyer protection worth nothing.

More PayPal with that fake advertisement help  dishonest sellers to cheat peoples.

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ifratos70 

Buyer protection is not a 100% coverall or an insurance policy, if you read the small section then you would have been aware of this......

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction .....(country dependent).
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/what-is-return-shipping-on-us-and-how-do-i-activate-it-fa...

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ifratos70
Contributor
Contributor

So PayPal buyer protection is a false advertisement as I said.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ifratos70 

An insurance policy is an insurance policy but it does not give you protection for everything.

A credit card has buyer protection but it does not cover you for everything.

Paypal has buyer protection but it does not cover you for everything.

Paypal gives you 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection, but the onus is on you to read up on it and risk assess your transactions.

You didn't and bought tat from a Chinese website. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ifratos70
Contributor
Contributor

You are probably their lawyer and I cannot argue with you  but the fact is that I was cheated by the seller and PayPal help him to do that and not me to recover my money.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ifratos70 

I have NOTHING to do with paypal (thank goodness).

I am just a user the same as you, however I make sure I risk assess my transactions as I am aware of what buyer protection paypal does and does not offer.

I also don't buy tat from China from Chinese websites or from Facebook (that don't vet sellers). 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ifratos70
Contributor
Contributor

Finally, after my refusal to send the product back in China on my money , after a few failed attempts to close my PP  account and , not in the last row , after my complain here PayPal reanalyzed my case and decide to gave me  full refund.

Still remain a bitter taste for PP and the way their employees treats the customers like me.Shame on you PayPal!

Login to Me Too

Scribe_05
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased an item and before delivery discovered that the Seller had accepted my payment under false pretenses. I sent them numerous messages in an attempt to resolve this matter before the item arrived and included that if they did not correct this I would not accept the delivery. I did not receive any replies to my messages so I did refuse the delivery and filed a dispute with PayPal. I included full details of my claim and provided proof from Canada Post that the delivery had been refused. My claim was denied and the reason given was - "We have reviewed this transaction(s) and are denying your case(s). This decision was made because we received shipment tracking from the merchant confirming that the merchandise was delivered." I don't know what level of education is required to work in the PayPal Dispute Resolution Department, but I would suggest that PayPal is the only Company in the world that believes that a tracking number is proof of delivery. Whatever happened to, as other Companies do, request that the Seller contact their carrier and ask for proof that the item they had been paid to deliver had actually been delivered. There is no doubt that the PayPal 'Buyer Protection' Policy is a joke. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Scribe_05 

It would have to be delivered before being declined and sent back, so it was delivered and your choice not to accept it so you are sadly not covered for non receipt of item.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Scribe_05
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately that is not correct. Delivery is defined as -"bring and hand over (a letter, parcel, or ordered goods) to the proper recipient or address."

For it to have been delivered I would have to have taken possession of it which I certainly did not do.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.