Can I successfully refund someone if I don't have enough money in my paypal account/bank account?

mh123ofm
New Community Member

I have to do a full refund of $30. I only have $19.00 in my Paypal and $4.00 in my actual bank account. No, I cannot just "get more money".

The reason the $ in my Paypal account is so low is due to the Depop shipping fee being taken out immediately when a Depop purchase is made. I cannot get the Depop fee refunded until the full refund to the buyer is confirmed/completed by Paypal.

I'm pretty sure my bank is lax about overdraft, but I obviously cannot afford any fees for that, and this refund was issued due to a mistake from the buyer.

Can I successfully refund someone if I don't have enough money in my Paypal account and not enough in my bank account? Thank you.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mh123ofm 

The refund will fail if PayPal isn’t able to debit the money out. PayPal will represent the debit again if it fails initially. Once the attempts are exhausted, refund status will go from pending to refund canceled.

Note: 

If you have a balance with PayPal or you have money waiting that you haven’t accepted yet, the refund is paid from it. If you don’t have a balance or money waiting to be accepted, the entire refund will be issued from the primary bank account linked to your PayPal account. Depending on your bank's processing time, it may take up to 5 business days to process your refund even if the refund status shows "Complete" in your PayPal account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.