Item not as described dispute - where is the PP protection?

murmur

I ordered 10 "Solar Lawn Torches"  off a FB ad and several weeks later, what I received was a box of lightbulbs.  Not a solar torch in sight.   Contacted the seller, they tried to shake me down for more money.  Contacted paypal and filed a dispute.  Dispute time came and went with no action from seller.  But 2 days after the deadline, he responded with an offer for a $30 refund.   Which would still leave me with %50 worth of worthless lightbulbs.  I said no & contacted paypal once more.  Paypal says I need to pay MORE $ to ship these back to the seller.  It will cost me $55.40 to return these light bulbs to china.  The most I can get reimbursed is $30, so then I'd still be out an additional $25.40 plus the $80 originally.    Paypal says they can't do anything because the seller sent me something (they don't care it isn't what I ordered, and YES - I sent screenshots of their website, ordering screen, invoice, etc).    I shouldn't have to be more $ out of pocket when this seller is scamming me.   Please offer some advice on what I can do?  I'd happily send it to paypal offices, I shouldn't have to incur $55.40  in more expenses with the HOPES of recapturing my original cost when it is so clear they didn't mail what I ordered

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

jet722
Contributor
Contributor

I have a dispute in progress in which the seller has not been contacted nor I.  The item is clearly not as ordered and I used paypal so I would have the protection.  It has been under review for a month.  I called and explained I ordered this in March for mothers day gift they are dragging this out until May and I will end up with nothing but out the money for this junk, after transferring me all around they said they would escalate, that was weeks ago.

The seller will fix if I pay all shipping back and forth again so they fix the mistakes they made.  I called paypal today they offered a call back they called back and as soon as I said I was on the line it went to fast busy.  I called and sat on hold over 20 minutes and their system hung up on me.  you are not allowed to live chat unless your issue fits in their box of issues.  I am about ready to call the better business bureau and rate them from what used to be good company to a verly lacking in customer service company.  I would like a supervisor to call me.  Oh and email same way has to fit in their box or no can do.  They have made it loud and clear they do not wish to help their customers. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@murmur 

Paypal buyer protection can never be a 100% coverall, so in the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction .....
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/what-is-return-shipping-on-us-and-how-do-i-activate-it-fa...

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.