Dispute

DancingGnome
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings community,

Perhaps I am venting to more dead air, which is what I am getting from the PayPal messaging screen where there is absolutely no response.  But, here is what happened to me.  I bought an office chair from a website (that just so happens to not exist a couple of weeks after I make the purchase).  I receive a UPS shipping/tracking record minute after I click the Purchase button.  Thinking that's odd and too quick, I notice the (obviously bogus) UPS shipping/tracking record marks the shipment as complete.  I also notice this tracking record has nothing to do with me.  And for kicks, it's for an item that weighs 2 pounds.  Dang, that is some office chair.  I open a dispute and get zero response for a couple of weeks.  I fire up one of these useless messaging sessions providing all this detail, and then I receive a Dispute Denied email from PP.  So a couple of things;  1) PayPal NEVER looked into the details of this transaction and simply determined that  if the tracking record says "received", then its "received"   2) Is this a common scam/fraud performed through PayPal where someone simply provides a bogus tracking record that 'seals the deal' ?  Now I have to find a replacement for PayPal as I have used this service religiously for years, but the way they have handled this has been terrible.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DancingGnome 

To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment or that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address.

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click Contact at the bottom of the page), via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DancingGnome
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the useful advice.  Between the time I made my posting and received your reply, PayPal, out of the blue, started responding to my messages that I had been posting and waiting for hours.  Interesting timing ?  However, after they reviewed the UPS tracking record (by actually looking at it) it became obvious that I wasn't trying to deceive anyone.  It was very obvious that this was not a legit seller.  Long story short, they put in motion a refund for my losses.  This took a lot of hand holding, but we got there.  Interestingly, your advice is basically what we went through on the messaging screens.  So, if PayPal is attentive to appeals, then things should work out for the most part.  Lots of "ifs" though.  Thanks again,

Login to Me Too

aberickson
Contributor
Contributor

I had to send THREE emails to UPS before I could get a verification that it was sent to a different address.   I wasn't even looking for the address where it was sent, just confirmation that it was or wasn't sent to my address (which I provided to them).   First two times UPS said yes, it's delivered.   Well thanks but that's not the question.   Was it delivered to me?   Thanks for contacting us.   Yes your package was delivered.   ARRGGGHHHHH.   

Login to Me Too

DancingGnome
Contributor
Contributor

The daily battles with ineptness everywhere are tiring.  So many people don't care anymore, in general.  And I'm not talking pandemic stuff here.  The path of least resistance and no concern for end result.  The  interesting thing about my transaction was that the (fraudulent) seller (re)used a UPS Tracking record.  It had nothing to do with me or my purchase.  I clicked purchase, shortly thereafter I get an email from PayPal saying your product has been marked as shipped AND received.  Hello PayPal ??  Think you might want to take a look at that one.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.