Dispute from a buyer closed and granted without any contact from paypal to me, their customer

familysleep
New Community Member

I have never had a dispute (since using paypal for over 10 years) on the service that I provide until now.  I run a school that has a program that students are accepted in to and are required to complete the program and pass the course to receive certification.  For this dispute the student paid the tuition in two instalments.   While the student received all the "live" classes, feedback, mentoring and support she did not pass the course.  This student decided to dispute the two charges which covered the complete cost of the program and claimed she did not receive what she paid for.  She received everything but her certification status because she did not pass the course.  Since she made two payments there were two different cases but it was for the total cost of the certification program.  I received the notice and sent an explanation basically the same for both payments, that she did receive everything that she paid for but she did not reach certification status, which is earned.   As I said, totally new to this, I mentioned that I had other documentation if needed but given the privacy of the student I would provide it if needed or necessary to support my case.  I heard nothing for months.  Paypal who would be representing me did not ask me for anymore information which I had plenty to give especially if I knew that what I gave them was not enough to resolve the case in my favour.  Paypal allowed the buyer's credit card company to make the decision and didn't take any steps to protect, support or defend ME as a decade long customer on a case that should have been resolved in my favour due to how obvious this case was unfounded.   If Paypal cannot protect their customers and give them the appropriate representation from fraudulent disputes then I cannot take the chance to continue using paypal if they do not protect me from claims that are unfounded.  

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@familysleep 

If it was a charge-back then it has nothing to do with paypal, its done directly via the buyers credit card company as they must have funded their paypal payment that way.

The card company makes all the decisions and all paypal can do is pass on any information you provide on your behalf.

If you lose then you would be reimbursed if you met ALL the requirements of seller protection.

Unfortunately as yours was a 'service' then you didn't have any seller protection so you sadly lost out.

Always best to read up on seller protection before you start to sell really.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

familysleep
New Community Member

Well if I was able to work directly with the credit card company to defend myself that would have solved this case.  Given I use paypal I have no specific information on what banking institution was used so it's in the hands of paypal to make the best effort in resolving the issue.  This is very eye opening and there truly is NO benefit to doing business with paypal if I can't be represented in the way I need to.  Way too much money lost here and it's going to cost me even more to take steps into my own hands and go after this person, what's the point paypal if you can't fight for your customers.  10 years and 10's of thousands of dollars paypal has received from me.  I have 100's of graduates who I have recommended to use paypal I will now encourage them to STOP using it just for this reason.  If you are going to have a payment rescinded after 8 months then it's not REAL.  

Login to Me Too

familysleep
New Community Member

So to your point.  Paypal would not be the best platform for me to use given my business.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@familysleep 

To be honest it doesn't matter one jot to me if you use them or not.

All i can do is tell you how things work with paypal including chargebacks.

Its up to you to read up on seller protection and then risk assess your transactions.

But at the end of the day most sellers factor in the odd bad sale.

If you want to use something else as a payment processor then try google, plenty of others out there.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.