Can paypal deny a dispute despite the seller agreeing?

guson
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone,

My refund dispute just got denied by paypal and I am fuming and incredibly confused. Here's the story:

I bought a laptop from a reputable seller on ebay. I opened a return request 2 days after my purchase but like I have accidentally closed it literally like 2 minutes after opening the request, because I thought I had opened the return for the wrong item(another laptop I bought). Stupid mistake, I know. Ebay told me they can't open a new return request for the same item after closing one and that I had to contact the seller privately. 

I explained the situation to the seller, and they said no problem we are approving your request, here's your shipping label, we will process the refund once we receive the item. Great. Mind you this return agreement is between me and the seller and even though we are communicating through ebay, they are not involved. I sent the item back, without even opening the box. Informed seller, they said alright. Laptop got delivered, 2 weeks passed nothing was happening. I contacted the seller again about the status of the return. They wanted the tracking number to see whether it was delivered, I gave it to them. Again, silence for a week. Since Ebay wasn't involved anymore, I opened a dispute on paypal, reason : Missing refund or credit. I think it was classified under a billing dispute. I chose that option because it was the only thing related to refunds. I explained the situation and provided the messages beteen me and the seller. Seller contacted me a day later, apologized for lack of communication and said they have approved the refund and it was going to be processed through paypal. Great awesome. In the evening of the same day paypal denied my dispute because "We have received a response from the merchant and we've also reviewed all the details of your case. Based on the merchant’s response and the information we have to date, we have denied your case. This decision was made because your billing dispute doesn't match our qualification for a billing dispute."

I am fuming. The seller agreed to send me the refund, I don't understand what the problem is. Is it because I chose the wrong categorization? What should I have chosen instead? Or is the seller just lying to me. The amount of money in question is literally 1 months worth of rent and I don't know what to do. Appreciate any help.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@guson 

Seller can refund with or without a dispute in seconds if they want to.

However it wasn't a billing dispute, you paid the correct amount for the item.

You had the option to open a dispute for non receipt of item OR item received but not as described.

If you selected the latter and the seller agreed to a refund then you would have been refunded when you gave paypal the return tracking number.

However if the item 'was as described' and you just didn't want it ie buyer remorse then sadly thats between you and the seller to work out.

May have been better if you had not closed the ebay return request as they do allow for buyer remorse.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.