PayPal 'Here' card reader battery life

vikingtone
Contributor
Contributor

hi.  I have had one experiment with the card reader, at a craft sale yesterday.  So far I have had a few issues with the reader, which I will investigate further via these pages.  My first queston is:  does anyone have any experience with the card reader battery life?  I charged the thing fully, but it went totally flat and turned off after three hours.  I feel this is quite poor. After all, I suppose a number of people will want to use this thing the way I have, at a craft fair where access to power was very limited.  I need the card reader to be alive a heck of a lot longer thatn 3 hours.  I could conceivably re-charge overnight, but 3 hours is just not enough.  Any other experiences would be very valuable, thanks

I do find it frustrating. The 'rules' about where to post are not accurate. This post has nothing to do with selling on eBay, selling from my website, or reversals.   OK, there has to be structure, but if there is to be structure it needs to encompass all the possibilities

Login to Me Too
92 REPLIES 92

markus144
Contributor
Contributor

The poor battery has been a godsend. 

I have looked at other providers and gone with SumUp, Yes I had to pay £30 for a new reader that uses AAA betteries, Bluetooth just the same. I now get charged 1.95% in total. 

Also use GoCardless for Direct Debit payaments with my customers subscription payments and Stripe for Customer not present payments. These again charge 1.9% + 20p

Big savings to be had if you look around.

The main reason for my desicion was the non existant battery life and the current surge of negative media from Martin Lewis that my customers are not protected by Section 75 over £100.

Goodbye PayPal. 

Login to Me Too

AJLA1
Contributor
Contributor

Can you take payments over the phone with Sum Up Markus?

Login to Me Too

markus144
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

No SumUp is chipand pin only. I use stripe or payatrader for payments by telephone. Very good systems. I use Kashflow for my accounting which integrates seemlessly with these providers. 

Here is a link to<removed>

Login to Me Too

AJLA1
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for your reply Markus.  SumUp looks very interesting,  will now look up the others for telephone payments.

Is it the norm with all similar companies (with the exception of your own bak terminals) to release your funds from 3 - 6 days?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi blok_51_barry,

Welcome to the community.

When you are not taking payments have you tried to place the app on standby?

Here’s how:

Step 1 Minimise the PayPal Here app without logging out
Step 2 Press the power button once (you will see the Bluetooth light go off)

When you’re ready to take payments again, open up the app then press any button on the card reader - it should reconnect within seconds.

If you are not planning to use the card reader for a while, we recommend you to turn it off. You can turn off the card reader completely by pressing the power button for 5 seconds.

If you have tried these steps & are still experiencing issues please reach out to the PayPal Here team directly to discuss the possibility of a replacement reader, <removed> <removed> or email us at  <removed> 

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

AJLA1
Contributor
Contributor

I am still awaiting a replacement since the 20th July!!

Login to Me Too

markus144
Contributor
Contributor

Apologies PayPal but the competition is hotting up and I feel the bad press and terribly non intuitive payments website coupled with a portable PayPal here mobile terminal that is hardly mobile you will need to adapt or die. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hey AJLA1,

If you haven't received a replacement card reader, have you contacted our customer services team for an update. They should be able to check what the status of your replacement card reader is.

David.

Login to Me Too

AJLA1
Contributor
Contributor

Yes David, thankyou. I have finally received my fifth (yes fifth) device after ordering it on the 20 th June.  Apparently one was sent to me but returned as they could not find me. ( my building has only been here since the 1970's)  I have corrected the address several times by various methodswith PayPal.  This one finally found me by luck although the address was still incorrect.

To be fair after a long conversation on the phone my funds were released immediately which was good, however I was still penalised with the higher charges due to a faulty product. Which I must admit I think is very UNFAIR.

I am hoping my last device will do the job as it is supposed to and that we can appear proffessional once again to our  valued customers.

Apologies for the rant which may seem harsh but five readers in just over 12 months is somewhat frustrating.

Login to Me Too

markus144
Contributor
Contributor

AJ

Don't prolong the Pain. I did and I wish I had changed to sumup earlier.  

Markus

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.