PayPal 'Here' card reader battery life

vikingtone
Contributor
Contributor

hi.  I have had one experiment with the card reader, at a craft sale yesterday.  So far I have had a few issues with the reader, which I will investigate further via these pages.  My first queston is:  does anyone have any experience with the card reader battery life?  I charged the thing fully, but it went totally flat and turned off after three hours.  I feel this is quite poor. After all, I suppose a number of people will want to use this thing the way I have, at a craft fair where access to power was very limited.  I need the card reader to be alive a heck of a lot longer thatn 3 hours.  I could conceivably re-charge overnight, but 3 hours is just not enough.  Any other experiences would be very valuable, thanks

I do find it frustrating. The 'rules' about where to post are not accurate. This post has nothing to do with selling on eBay, selling from my website, or reversals.   OK, there has to be structure, but if there is to be structure it needs to encompass all the possibilities

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Conor

Hi vikingtone,

Thanks for letting me know.

You may well have received a faulty device and I'm glad a new one is on the way out to you Smiley Happy

Sorry that seems to have been a bad link that I sent you there. For future reference the correct Facebook link is: http://goo.gl/4BO8de

Enjoy your day vikingtone!

Conor

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
92 REPLIES 92

PayPal_Conor

Hi vikingtone,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the PayPal Here card reader.

We are currently in the process of adding a section to our UK Forum for posts dedicated to the PayPal here product and it should be up and running soon Smiley Happy 

However, a 3 hour battery life doesn't sound right to me. Was the location of your craft sale particularly cold I wonder? The reason I ask is that a cold environment can have an impact on the battery life of an electronic device.

Have you had better results with the battery since?

vikingtone, if this problem persists, could I ask you to contact us through our other social media contacts so we can pull up your details to investigate?

We are available 24/7 to answer private messages sent through our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/PayPalUK) and respond swiftly to any tweets directed towards @AskPayPal!

Hope that helps,

Conor

Login to Me Too

vikingtone
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Conor,       Thanks for taking time to come back to me.   The day of the sale was warm, especially for this time of year here in Southern England, about 20c.   I didn't know what to expect. Neither the card reader, nor the iPad slept in the whole 3 hours, which was odd behaviour.

Anyway, I reported it to the help desk people as well, and they are sending me a new one, as they say the reader should be good for 8 hours, and should sleep, and re-awaken cleanly.

I tried to answer this via your link to your FaceBook page, but the link came up with a 'Not Found' error,   🙂

thanks again

tb

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Conor

Hi vikingtone,

Thanks for letting me know.

You may well have received a faulty device and I'm glad a new one is on the way out to you Smiley Happy

Sorry that seems to have been a bad link that I sent you there. For future reference the correct Facebook link is: http://goo.gl/4BO8de

Enjoy your day vikingtone!

Conor

Login to Me Too

vikingtone
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Conor, I am just adding some info for the record.   After receiving my replacement reader, I made sure it was fully charged.  Last week, when starting to get my stuff together for the festival next weekend, I checked the status of the replacement reader. It was flat.  mmmmm   So, I charged it again.  Fully.   I have just checked again (after 1 week of the reader being switched off, and idele,)  and the battery is flat, again.

I am recharging the battery right now.

I am taking all my stuff to a festival, where I will be atttempting to make sales in the middle of a field.  

To my mind, the reader should be capable of this sort of utilisation  -  it is a small and supposedly battery-driven, portable device.  However, if battery life is so short when not tethered to a power source, it is of no use to me.   If your OEM has used NimH or NiCad batteries instead of LiOn, I would be aghast   -   but the performance of the device suggests to me that it isn't LiOn.  This is a massive error on your, and their behalf.

I will try to use it over the whole of the long weekend Friday - Monday  25-28 July.   Whatever happens, I will report back with a frank and honest description of the performance of the device.   

Login to Me Too

Giblet
Contributor
Contributor

I am also having battery problems.

I am now using the third machine as I returned the previous two because they would not hold a charge, I charged it fully 3 days ago ready for a show on Sat and checked it again this morning...gues what, totaly dead! 

I am very happy with the machine as it suits my business model and if only I could be confident of it working every time I needed it I would be estatic.

I paid £99 for mine just over 18months ago (just before they went down in price (grrr) I do expect it to do as it advertised.

I trade at craft fayres and normaly not near a power supply so when it goes dead I loose sales.

What are PayPal doing? just telling me I must have had one (or in my case 3) with a faulty battery

PAYPAL DO THE DECENT THING AND SORT THIS OUT you are making money from me both in the purchase and use of this machine.

Please

Trevor

Login to Me Too

stillness2014
Contributor
Contributor

Hi -  I am seriously thinkig of asking for my money back under the Sale of Goods Act as i have had two devices with poor battery life, and now the second device has completely failed. I agree Paypal are not being up front about the problems so maybe consumer watchdoy programme might wake then up! They know there are serious problems and are not doing anything about it. I may try asking for money back and see how it goes ...

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi stillness2014,

Welcome to the community forum.

We are sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with the PPH reader, can you provide us with some further information on what is happening, how you charge the device etc.. 

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

stillness2014
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - I am on my second device which has exactly the same problems as the first device - needs re-charging after a couple of hours. The whole purpose of the card reader is for it it to be mobile and not need charging every hour or so. Owing to over 4000 comments on the paypal community forum it is clear to me that there is a serious manufacturing problem. I have also heard rumours that Paypal are introducing a totally revamped card reader soon. Is that true? Will all us poor folk who have struggled with a device that is not of merchantable quaity have to pay for a new device? If so I will like others ask for my money back under Sale of Good s Act. 

I was at a craft fair yesterday in Devon and a lady I purchased from had a paypal card reader with a separate battery attached..... I asked her about this and she said she had had exactly the same problem with the battey life and paypal had sent her a separate battery charger...

Login to Me Too

AllBright
Having bought my PayPal here from the Apple Store for my window cleaning business I have had nothing but problems with the battery life but as I lost my receipt Apple would not exchange it! If not used for a week or so I will charge it all night and it lasts around 5 minutes??? Thought it would be good for my company but embarrassing when battery keeps going flat at customers doors! Come on PayPal sort it out!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.