PayPal 'Here' card reader battery life

vikingtone
Contributor
Contributor

hi.  I have had one experiment with the card reader, at a craft sale yesterday.  So far I have had a few issues with the reader, which I will investigate further via these pages.  My first queston is:  does anyone have any experience with the card reader battery life?  I charged the thing fully, but it went totally flat and turned off after three hours.  I feel this is quite poor. After all, I suppose a number of people will want to use this thing the way I have, at a craft fair where access to power was very limited.  I need the card reader to be alive a heck of a lot longer thatn 3 hours.  I could conceivably re-charge overnight, but 3 hours is just not enough.  Any other experiences would be very valuable, thanks

I do find it frustrating. The 'rules' about where to post are not accurate. This post has nothing to do with selling on eBay, selling from my website, or reversals.   OK, there has to be structure, but if there is to be structure it needs to encompass all the possibilities

Login to Me Too
92 REPLIES 92

ProjectRX8
Contributor
Contributor

I've just started an experiment with mine. The card reader was fully charged and at 09.00 I took it off charge and connected it to my phone. Now I have Paypal Here logged in but minimised on my phone so the card reader is in stand-by. I'll check it every morning (and evening if I remember) and make a note here of the battery percentage.

Login to Me Too

Phizinza
Contributor
Contributor
I took my old reader back to OfficeWorks for a replacement after being in contact with PayPal. The new one was on charge until 7am this morning. We used it twice during the day without 'turning it off', just leaving it on sleep mode, and 12 hours later it is at 75% battery. The last one went flat (11%) after 4 hours.. If I leave this one in sleep mode it is definitely flat after 48 hours.. But so far when I turn it off it actually stays off, unlike the last one.
Login to Me Too

ProjectRX8
Contributor
Contributor

Morning 8/6/2015 79%

Login to Me Too

ProjectRX8
Contributor
Contributor

Evening 10/06/2015 23% 😞

Login to Me Too

twinshockandy
Contributor
Contributor

I too am experiencing very poor battery life & will probably return under sale of goods act as can not put up with it, due to amount of complaints it must be a know problem.

I now have to have a mains supply readily available to use it which defeates the object of portability.

Will now look at other card readers on the market but do a lot more research first on battery life.

Very dissapointed and from such a huge company.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi twinshockandy,

Welcome to the community and sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with the battery life. To discuss the return of your reader you can call the PayPal Here team on <removed> <removed> or email us at <removed> 

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi ProjectRX8,

When the card reader is in standby mode it still uses a bit of battery.  If the card reader is not being used it is best to switch it off completely by holding the on/off button for 5 seconds.  The card reader is completely off if it does not turn on again after you press any of the keys on the keypad.

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

markus144
Contributor
Contributor

The life on the Pay pal reader is dire and not fit for purpose. I have had a replacement unit with exactly the same battery life issues. I am currently looking at another card merchant. I still use Pay Pal for sending emailed Invoices but looking at the competition for the card machine. There is a lot of competiton out their. 

I vote with my feet. When Paypal sort out the card resader battery life I will return my card buisness to them. 

Login to Me Too

AJLA1
Contributor
Contributor

@markus144 wrote:

The life on the Pay pal reader is dire and not fit for purpose. I have had a replacement unit with exactly the same battery life issues. I am currently looking at another card merchant. I still use Pay Pal for sending emailed Invoices but looking at the competition for the card machine. There is a lot of competiton out their. 

I vote with my feet. When Paypal sort out the card resader battery life I will return my card buisness to them. 

Apologies for dragging this up once again but I thought that I would pop an update on.... I am now awaiting my fourth card reader replacement ( I have had two new ones within the last six weeks).

Once again I was let down yet again at an outdoor event this year as the reader stopped working after it's fourth transaction.. Fortunately I was able to process some of the payments manually on my ipad but as a result of a device not fit for purpose my funds are being withheld by Paypal and I have the pleasure incurring much higher fees.

Excuse me if I am wrong but seriously! why should 'I'  be penalised for putting my trust in a huge company by buying this device in the first place, again I must state one which I feel is not fit for it's pupose.

I feel that my higher processing charges should be reduced to those charged when using the reader and my funds released, why should we have to wait because your readers do not work??????

Login to Me Too

blok_51_barry
New Community Member

I've been meaning to investigate this problem for a while now.  When we first got the reader we found that we could switch it off and pick it up a few days later and there would still be charge there.  But for the last few months, the battery is terrible.  It's got to the stage where I have to take a laptop with me to shows to keep the reader charged.  I think the first time we started to see issues was after a software update but I can't confirm this.

I would assume I'm out of warranty.  Or are Paypal treating this like a known fault and issuing a recall?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.