Transaction fees

Grossman2
Contributor
Contributor

This is probably going to sound pretty dumb to seasoned eBayers, but I was always under the impression there was only one set of fees for selling payable to eBay, and that was then deducted from the Paypal account. Having just sold a fairly high-value item, Paypal has already deducted a fee and there is a different figure showing in my eBay account to be deducted later in the month! Have I got my knickers in  a twist, or do sellers get hit twice - once for selling on eBay and then another transaction fee on Paypal?!!

Login to Me Too
32 REPLIES 32

hab

hello. I'm a bit new to this thing. Can i join in? 

I am trying to print off the summary (monthly) of the charges paypal not ebay has levied for my sales. I have tried to contact them with out any response. Does anyone know how to do it? I dont want to print off each item i just want a summary. 

Thanks 

Login to Me Too

CharlenenMike
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal_John, we were wondering if you could tell us why papal would choose to put a 21 day hold on all payment we receive. We would like to know how they can even justify it, why we deserve not have out funds when Tracking Info. Has been supplied within 24 hours of payment then Positive Feedback Posted 3 Days later! This is wrong, we are above standard customer care and policy's, we will issue refunds if ultimately its the only way to make customer happy(which we have yet to do) and our account has grown and made such huge strides in the past year?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi there CharlenenMike,

As part of our payment holds for new eBay sellers, we may the money from your eBay transactions for up to 21 days. The funds for payments received are held temporarily as a pending balance in your account. New sellers on eBay are sellers who received payment for their first eBay sale less than 90 days ago.

Your money will be available sooner if:

• Your buyer leaves you positive feedback
  • You provide tracking information which shows the item has been delivered more than 3 days ago.

If you would like to provide us with tracking information so that we can review the hold, please email us the tracking number along with the name of the delivery company used as follows:

1. Log in to your PayPal account at www.paypal.co.uk
2. Click the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page.
3. Under 'Email us’ click on ‘Send us a question by email’.
4. Under 'Choose a Topic,' select the topic for your query.
5. Under 'Choose a Subtopic,' select the subtopic that best fits your query.
6. Enter your question in the 'Summarise your question in one sentence' box.
7. Click 'Continue'.
8. Please complete the form provided.
9. Click 'Continue'.

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

Fredbarney
New Community Member

Absolutley scandalous PayPal earn interest on monies in accounts take 3 or 4 days to transfer funds and charge a percentage +20p and ebay take 10% wont use eBay or PayPal again to sell items

Rip off

Login to Me Too

MissBlake
New Community Member

I completely agree with you - these charges are DEFINITELY new!! I've received more than 5 payments this year and didn't see any transaction charges. But in the last month I've suddenly started being charged . I have specifically come on here now to find out what is going on.

I've just sent a payment to somebody for £300 and they have been charged £10.40 which I now have to reimburse them for!!! If I had known this I would have just done a bank transfer instead!

Paypal used to be a safe way of sending payment - now it's just a complete rip off and I won't be using it anymore.

Login to Me Too

ramdas
New Community Member

I am new to eBay however took the plunge and sold my bike. The buyer transferred 575 to my account however paypal charged me £20 fees then i have been estimated to pay 30 odd pounds to ebay in final fees which is a ripoff. I am not sure if my buyer has been charged to it. if you refund and ask the buyer to pay by alternative methods, do you still get charged for the paypal fees?

I read page to page on paypay and cant make sense. 

I listed the same item on gumtree and got 6 responses withing 4 days of listing however they were bit lower then what i sold it on ebay. On afterthought, i should have gone with gumtree buyers. Smiley Mad

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi MissBlake,

The standard rate to accept money is 3.4% + £0.20 GBP and we also offer a competitive merchant rate.We also charge a fee for personal transfers that come from a debit or credit card, the sender can decide who pays the fee.

PayPal was originally designed as a service for individuals - people who might need to collect money for a group gift or transfer funds between friends. We will always continue to provide this service, however there are also real costs associated with providing our service - particularly costs associated with processing credit card payments. Visa, MasterCard and American Express charge us for every payment we process, and we need to pass this fee on to sellers to cover our costs.

Remember:

• It's free to sign up for a PayPal account.
  • There are no fees for personal payments to friends and family that are funded by your bank account or PayPal balance.
  • You can also transfer funds from your bank account to your PayPal account and withdraw to your bank account at no charge.

I hope this helps

Paula

Login to Me Too

Vinylheaven
Contributor
Contributor

The standard rate is more like 4.3% Smiley MadI have always paid Paypal fees and they have got significantly dearer. My most recent transaction was a sale for £45.80 - the Paypal fee is £1.99 = 4.3% - couple this with EBay fees I reckon on losing 20% on each and every sale. There are no economies of scale for selling via EBay and I have started to move my LP and 45 records on to Discogs where the only fee is a 6% sale fee.

Login to Me Too

svobo
Contributor
Contributor

Your 20p fees is making my final fees up to 11-12%. I am selling few 100s items every month. 20p for each one is enough money. And most of my customr are using debit cards and not credit cards why there is no discount on fees?  to get better 1,4% I need sell for 55000 £ each months and only the 20p fees will be more then 5000£  I am selling my items under 2£ then this is little bit too much what you think? 

I am looking for other way to avoid ebay paypal fees. One company charge you twice this is really too much.

Login to Me Too

Sidney_Harbor
Contributor
Contributor

I too have only just noticed that i have been charged a transcaction fee from Paypal from a recent sale. i have sold several items over the past 3 years on ebay and i can state that (as just checked my paypal history) i have only been charged a paypal fee for selling bespoke items such as concert tickets, any run of the mill items, Xbox games DVD's etc i havent but now all of a sudden i have ? so i too am none the wiser !

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.