Paypal wont let me use my Mastercard to fund payment

xSH4DOWx
Contributor
Contributor

ok well im new to paypal and im not sure if this is the right place to put this topic. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem when trying to purchase anything with a mastercard/visa.  everytime i try to purchase something it says(you may not use this card too fund this payment, please use a different card)  my account has been verified since i added my Bank Account and i checked my account yesterday  online and there was a $1 fee from paypal but i couldnt look at it since it was processing. i checked it again  today and that fee was gone like it never was there.  i really hope you guys/girls can help me on this. its pretty frustrating.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

elysa1968
New Community Member

I know! I got that same message. I also transfered money to Paypal three days ago and it still isn't showing up. I also have a payment on hold because of it. Why does it take so long to transfer money? Should I be worried?

Login to Me Too

seaheather
Contributor
Contributor

I've been having the same problem for the last week or so.  I've tried to use my PayPal Mastercard to make purchases online and get the same message.... that I cannot use that card and to choose another funding source.  I use my PayPal balance and have no problem.  I don't know if it's a PayPal problem or a Mastercard problem.  I was hoping it would resolve itself, but so far it hasn't.

Login to Me Too

xSH4DOWx
Contributor
Contributor

It's just stupid I've talked to numerous people who have used a master-card to purchase things via paypal and never had a problem so I don't know why the problem has to occur when I try to use it.

Login to Me Too

xSH4DOWx
Contributor
Contributor

sorry for double posting but is it even worth calling customer support about this problem?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Andy

Ok, let's see if I can rapid fire through these 🙂

xSH4DOWx- You may be running into our security model when trying to make a payment. It looks at many different factors and will decide if the payment will be allowed.  As far as what those factors could be...well...the first rule is you don't talk about it. So is the second rule. 😄  If we tell people what we look for, then they can get around that...then what's the point?  Plus in a lot of cases we don't even know. We're secure like that.

elysa1968- Possibly the same issue as xSH4DOWx. We sometimes limit funding options based on what our security model sees. As far as your adding funds, it usually takes 3-4 business days, and doesn't count the weekends.

seaheather- For you I would actually recommend calling us.  You may be running into the same issue as above, but the PayPal Mastercard usually doesn't have as many of those issues.  We might be able to at least give you somewhere to try and figure out.

Actually, anyone can contact us and we can review the account. But there's no guarantee we'd be able to tell you how to make your payment; we don't have the ability to override our security model.

Whew! That winded me! Hope that answers a few questions.

Login to Me Too

seaheather
Contributor
Contributor

Okay I'll call the number on the back of the card tomorrow. You'd think they'd call before they just starting declining the use of the card.  I had a merchant call me today to say that the card had been declined.   It's embarrassing, and I did nothing to warrant having my credit cut off.  I don't carry a big balance and I've never not paid when due.

I realize there are security issues and Mastercard doesn't want to be hit with fraudulent charges, but the courtesy of a phone call to question a charge is preferable to having them simply freeze the use of the card.

Login to Me Too

ChrisH

I have had the "security model" runaround with Paypal before regarding my Paypal Debit Card.  It is insane to me that your customer service people cannot tell me why my card is declined sometimes and goes through at other times.  There is no rhyme or reason to it.  My bank and credit card companies can ALWAYS tell me exactly why a transaction is declined.  Believe me, yours is the only operation going that cannot do that.  I have another frustration today....I set up a recurring payment to Blockbuster yesterday using Paypal, and my credit card was supposed to be used as back up funding.  Sure enough, I get an e-mail from Blockbuster this morning that I need to set up a different payment method, so Paypal must have refused the charge.  I used my credit card to pay something else this morning, so I know it should have worked as back up funding.  And please, don't tell me to transfer money to my Paypal account.  The whole reason I have Paypal is so I don't have to give my banking/credit card information to vendors; I have no interest in tying up money there.  I am as close as I have ever been to just cancelling this whole thing.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.