why do i need to set up a direct debit to withdraw funds from paypal to my bank?

frettyd
Contributor
Contributor
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_Wayne

Hi there,

You don't! Smiley Happy

You only need to set up a direct debit if you wish to use the bank account as a payment method, get verified or if it is a step needed to lift a limitation you may have. You don't need it to withdraw funds.

Wayne

Login to Me Too

fernman
Contributor
Contributor

I totally disagree with that answer, because that was not my experience just now.

A 3-figure sum of money from selling was (still is, but read on) sitting in my PayPal account and I decided it was time I transferred it to my bank account.

After filling in boxes for how much I wanted to withdraw, and where it was to be transferred to, I was instructed to get it verified, so I followed the not abundantly clear instructions.

Then I learned that my account was now "limited" and I had to lift the limitation.

To do this, I had to complete a drect debit instruction to my bank. Exactly why I should have to set up a DD that was for making payments from my bank to PayPal, rather than the other way round, I do not know. Believe me, I went bacvkwards and forwards a few times to see if I could get around this, but it was unavoidable.

I also got some BS about sending my card number, another one to send my full home address, and I received an email with a number to punch into the phone when it rang.

Somewhere in the middle of all this, I was made to change my PayPal account password. That I am really cross about. Why should I be forced to change my password as a result of wanting to withdraw some money? I have every intention of changing it back in the near future to what it used to be, but I won't be surprised if I'm treated like a naughty child rather than a 70 year old, and not allowed to.

Finally, I received a message telling me PayPal have transferred two small amounts into my bank account and I have to enter the figures on a form to return. Have PayPal given me that money out of the goodness of their hearts? Haha, of course not, and I'll bet they've already taken it out of my account.

But I must now wait 2-3 days for the amounts to appear in my bank account, before I can do anything! So I am being made to wait for the money that is rightfully mine.

Never in my life have I come across so much hassle. All this, just to transfer a modest 3-figure sum from PayPal to my bank account. I am so mad at PayPal that were it not for the fact that I want to continue being a seller, I would close my account and have nothing more whatsoever to do with them.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi fernman, 

I do regret to hear that you are not happy with our service. When you open a PayPal account there are certain limits set for security purposes. These limits are listed from the day you open your account and can be viewed on your main login page. 

Each and every PayPal account will have a sending, receiving and withdrawal limit. These limits can be lifted by completing some additional verification steps. The reason we have these is to stop unauthorised users opening accounts and restricts the amount of funds that can be sent. It sounds like when you initiated to withdraw your funds you have reached or are exceeding your withdrawal limit and this is why we are requesting you to verify your account. 

I understand that these limits can be inconvenient and please be assured these are in place to protect you and your account. Once you receive your deposits and confirm your bank you will be able to withdraw your funds. Also in the future you will be able to withdraw your funds without this verification. 

I hope this helps explain and any other questions please let us know. 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

HigginsJacob108
New Community Member

I still don't understand why a direct debit needs to be set up for verification. Does PayPal require some kind of account fees? Do they take money out of my bank account? Why is me setting up a direct debit any more secure than PayPal having my card details to transfer my money across when i choose rather than at a regular interval. Also why would i set up a direct debit to give money to PayPal when the whle point is that i want to transfer money from PayPal when i earn it online.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You cannot transfer funds to a card in the UK.

All the direct debit does is allow you to transfer funds into or out of your paypal account.

It does not take out a monthly amount, you are not "giving paypal money", all it does is allow you to send funds to your paypal balance if you need to refund a buyer or withdraw payments from buyers to you bank account. Or you can use it to pay for items purchased.

If you add an verify it but don't want to use your bank account then during the payment process click on "other funding sources" and select your card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.