Unrecognised transaction on bank statement but not on paypal transaction list

kieran1985
Contributor
Contributor

hi.

i was looking at my bank statement and saw a payment of £15 that i did not recognise, as i haven't bought or sold anything on ebay for a while. so i logged into my paypal account to see what the payment was for, and there is no sign of this payment on my transaction list. on the bank statement it says "PAID ITEM FEE DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO PAYPAL" and then has my reference number.

as this payment doesn't appear on my transaction list i have no transaction id, so i couldn't file a dispute. i filled in the "Reporting Unauthorised Use of a PayPal Account" page and have been waiting for a reply for 2 weeks, but i have heard nothing.

is there any way i can get this money back or at least find out who it's gone to? and also i was overdrawn at the time of this payment, so i will be receiving extra charges from my bank for making a payment when i didn't have the funds to cover it. anything i can do about that?

thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_lucy

Hey there kieran1985,

If the payment was not made through your PayPal account, we can locate the payment by searching under your debit card or bank account number. Once we know where the payment was made from we can take the appropriate action.

Please note, however, that the amount showing on your bank account statement can differ from what is shown in your PayPal account if you have a balance in your PayPal account at the time of making payment.

For example if you are sending a payment for £20.00 and you have a balance £10.00 in your PayPal account, then we will only request £10.00 from your bank account. So you can see that you have made no payment for £10.00 through PayPal yet it shows as £10.00 on your bank account statement.

I would advise also looking for payments showing on PayPal that are not showing on your bank account statement.

You can call the number below for more info on this and you can provide your details so the transaction can be located.

Phone: 08707 307 191

I hope this helps.

Login to Me Too

kieran1985
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the reply

the £15 went out of my bank account on the 29 of september. since the 19th of august i have not sent or received any money using paypal and my paypal account balance has been zero, so it's a total mystery.

in fact the only activity on my paypal account since the 19th of august was a £1.15 payment to ebay for seller fees on the 18th of september, which came straight from my bank account, as my paypal balance was zero.

so i will call that number you gave me.

Login to Me Too

classy-diva
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Have you had any seller disputes, i.e you sold something and a buyer disputed they received it or it was not as described via the eBay resolution centre?

If eBay deals with a claim and refunds your buyer they then take the money back from you usually via your PayPal account or preferred refund method.

Login to Me Too

atom88
New Community Member

11-04-2010

FEE /  PAYPAL INST XFER 101103 $28.00

I am having the same issue; it showed as above on my bank statement. please give a number in the usa where i can resolve this thank you

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi there Atom88,

Have you tried checking your previous transaction history on your PayPal account? If using a PayPal account within the UK, you can click the 'History' icon on the Account Overview page. From here, there will be an 'All Activity with Balance' icon. By clicking this, you should see a breakdown of all your recent transactions including your balance before and after a payment was sent. The way to locate this may vary depending on country the PayPal account is opened in but you should be able to find it easy enough.

If you wish to call us directly you can click the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of any PayPal webpage. From here, you should have an option to click 'Call Us' in order to see your localised phone number.

I hope this helps Smiley Happy,

David.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.