Payment for eBay item posted to old account

PayPal_david

Here is a question that I have received recently:

I recently sold an item on e-bay and it was paid into an account that had been updated when I moved house and server - ie. Changed from AOL to Bt. The money is now sitting in an account as "pending" and I cannot get at it because an e-mail confirming the transaction was sent to MY old AOL account which I cannot see. How could this happen and how can I get the money transferred to my current Pay Pal account. Disgruntled.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

PayPal_david

Hi,

When a seller lists an item on eBay, they need to ensure that the email address for the payment to be sent to is correct before completing the listing on your eBay account. When you are listing an item on the Sell Your Item form on eBay, you will see the 'Decide how you'd like to be paid' section. From here, you can then see the email address that the payment to be sent to when the buyer makes the payment.

You need to ensure on every listing that the email address is the correct email address that is active and confirmed on your PayPal account.

In this case you will need to contact the buyer and let them know that they need to cancel the payment they have sent to you, which will show up as 'Unclaimed' in their PayPal history log. After cancelling the payment they will have to resend the payment to your correct email address.

I have provided instructions below on how the sender of the payment can cancel it and then resend the payment to your correct email address.

1. Log in to your PayPal account at http://www.paypal.co.uk/
  2. Click on 'History' near the top of the page.
  3. Select 'Payments Sent' from the drop down menu.
  4. Select the dates by using the date boxes and click 'Search'.
  5. Click 'Cancel' in the Action column of the unclaimed transaction. Note: You may only cancel a payment that has a status of 'Unclaimed' and has a 'Cancel' button in the action column).
  6. The funds from the cancelled payment will be returned original payment source.

To resend the payment to the correct email address:

1. Log in to your PayPal account at http://www.paypal.co.uk/
  2. Click on 'Send Money' near the top of the page.
  3. Fill out the form including the sellers correct email address.
  4. Click 'Continue'.
  5. Review your payment details including the payment method and currency. To change any information, click the 'change' link in the relevant section. Note: If you change any payment details, the payment method will automatically return to your default method of payment.
  6. Click 'Send Money' to complete the payment.

Sorry for the long answer but there was a lot of information to provide on this. I hope it helps.

Thanks,

David.

Login to Me Too

charlottejoy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

What happens when the above happens and seller says money is paid into wrong email account and please resend. However, they have claimed the money and it is showing in my history as COMPLETED so I cannot cancel it. What do I do if the seller is not responding...

Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

Hey charlottejoy,

Good question, if the payment is showing as completed and the recipient is not corresponding and you may need to open a buyer dispute against the payment.

You will need to open the dispute for ‘non-receipt’ of an item. As the recipient is not sending you the item they won’t have any evidence of the item being send, this is turn will lead to claim being closed in your favour a refund being issued.

As the payment has completed into a person’s PayPal account we aren’t able to reverse it without the recipients authorisation so with no correspondence from the account holder this would be the only option. I have provided the steps for opening a dispute below if you need them.

I hope this helps.

To open a dispute on a transaction, please follow the steps below:

1. Log in to your PayPal account at www.paypal.co.uk
2. Click 'Resolution Centre' near the top of the page.
3. You will have the option of:
• Clicking the ‘Dispute a Transaction’ button, or
• Clicking the heading ‘Report a Problem’ and then clicking the ‘Report a Problem’ button.
4. Select ‘Item dispute’ and click ‘Continue’.
5. Click the 'Find transaction ID'. A new window displays your transaction history.
6. Click the ‘Transaction ID' you want to dispute.
7. Click ‘Continue’ and follow the instructions.

Login to Me Too

lowesouth
New Community Member

Hi, 

I have has a similar problem buy am in contact with the seller.

They have contacted me to say they had an old email address on there paypal and the money I have sent is in cyber space.  They have sent me my item and asked me to stop the payment and redirect but I comes up a complete my end and I don't now how to get it for them.

Hope you can help, it's only a small amount but I wouldn't want the seller to be out of pocket

Many thanks

Lowesouth

Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

Hey there,

When this happens its slightly more complicated. As the payment is showing as completed the only person who can refund it is the recipient. So in other words you will have to contact the person who has received the payment. Send an email to the email address the payment has been sent to.

If there is no response in within, say 24-48 hours, open a buyer dispute for Non-Receipt. This way PayPal can help in the return of the funds. You should escalate the dispute to a PayPal claim as soon as you can and the recipient will be requested to respond to the claim. If they don't respond within 10 days the claim will be closed in your favour and the funds will be returned.

If they do respond we will be request a valid tracking number that shows delivery to your address. As there is no item being sent from this person, no tracking number will be provided and we can then, again close the claim in your favour and reverse the funds.

I know it may sound a lil confusing, but feel free to give our customer service team a call and they can talk you through what you need to do.

Phone: 08707 307 191

I hope this helps.

Login to Me Too

classy-diva
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If the email address is not associated with a PayPal account you have the option to cancel the payment. If it is attached to a PayPal account all you can do is file an INR upon the existing payment and await your refund.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.