Not using my payPal balance to pay for something?

duke46
Contributor
Contributor

I leave money in PayPal for my own use and to buy things off eBay 99% of the time. Its my mad money and wife can't spend it. HAHA!

Now this happens a lot with me because I have friends that want to buy something of for me to bid for them and they deal in cash only. I buy they pay I take their money to the bank. But if I have a paypal bal of $100 and the item is $100 then I use paypal then you take my money. If it would let me choice to pay through my bank only or charge card or whatever then my $100 would still be in your account. But it looks like it want work that way? Why can't I make the choice on how to pay for an item without you automatically taking the $100 out of my balance all the time?

I would think if you operate any way like a bank then you would/could earn interest on what people have in their accounts but maybe you don't operate that way?

For me to get my $100 back into your account I have to do a bank transfer and that takes more time than it should to do it for some reason? So I have to wait till it is there to use it when I need to. Then the wife might get to it first!

Do I need two accounts with you maybe so I have better control?

Login to Me Too
76 REPLIES 76

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@timtak

When someone mentioned earlier about sending it to another account they probably meant a mates or family members who can then return it.

If you have made a second paypal account then its against paypal rules UNLESS x1 is a personal account and the other one is a business accounts.

So be careful as one may be limited.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

timtak
Contributor
Contributor

Eventually I used my wife's credit card to create for her a paypal account and paid with that.

As you say, creating two accounts with the same card would result in being @Limited

(this %@"! forum is still forcing my keystrokes to be interpretted as if I were using a US
keyboard. That was supposed to be limited inside quotation marks.)

I was not able to send funds to a second account without a card attached. I am not sure why.

So, in its avarice to make an extra few percent on the transactions, paypal forces us to use

our account balances first. It is a shame.

There is another possibility. Some have said earlier in the thread that if you pay a difference currency
to your balance then your balance may not be used. My balance is in USD and UKP and i checked

to see if my last JPY purchase had been paid with my balance, and alas it had.

But then I noticed that in Settings (top right cog)>Payments> Preapproved Payments> Set available Funding Sources>
Conversion Options > Bill me in the currency of the sellers invoice (rather than use paypal's conversion)

*might* have the desired effect. But then this is in a Preapproved Payments sub-setting so it may make
no difference to normal payments. I can find no Japanese shops that use paypal that I want to purchase

from to test this possibility.

Good luck

Tim

Login to Me Too

SethFrancis
Contributor
Contributor
Ok, so i have the opposite problem from what is being discussed in this thread. For some reason, paypal has defaulted to using my credit card even when there is plenty of funds in my balance. I see that the credit cared is selected as my preferred payment but I cannot change this to my balance. The inly options are the credit card or bank account. Last night I made a purchase and forgot to change the payment method from credit card to my balance so tge money was taken from the credit card. This is extremely frustrating as I cannot find any way to keep this from happening. All I want to do is make it so my paypal balance is used first no matter what, but right now it is always defaulting to the credit card regardless of balance. Can anyone tell me gow to correct this? As far as I know the default should always be the balance and what I'm experiencing should never happen.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SethFrancis

Are the funds in your paypal balance cleared and not pending?

Are the funds in your paypal balance in the correct currency as the person you are paying accepts?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

SethFrancis
Contributor
Contributor
Yes, I have more than enough funds and it happens weather I send money to a paypal account directly or if I shop at a online retailer. All domestic USD to USD purchases. This only started happening when I accidentally selected my credit card as my preferred payment method from my wallet. Now I can't change it back and for some reason it is the automatically selected payment method even when I have more than enough funds. Totally backwards. At every purchase I have to click change and select to fund tge purchase from my balance for that payment and it will go through just fine, the money will come out of my balance. The problem is I'm mot used to having to tell paypal to take the money from my balance at each purchase so I forget and the purchase gets paid for with my default payment method, which is for some reason always my credit card.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SethFrancis

Can i suggest you post on the U.S rather than this UK forum.

Normally it does not matter but with settings for funding sources the US differs from the UK and i think you would get more accurate advice.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

SethFrancis
Contributor
Contributor
Ok, I didn't even know I was on the UK version lol.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.