Security Key texts not received on new phone - any advice?

Jaxjol

I had a phone which I changed for a new one with the samephone number.  Ever since I have changed my phone I have not been able to receive the security text and have to answer the security questions to get into my account.

Why can't I get the texts now?

Do I need to do something to get the texts on my new phone?

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi there Jaxjol,

In this case I would advise that you deactivate your PayPal security key and activate it again to be sure it works with your new phone!

Here’s how to deactivate your PayPal Security Key:

1. Go to www.paypal.co.ukand log in to your account.
  2. Click ‘Profile’ near the top of the page.
  3. Click ‘PayPal Security Key’ under ‘Account Information.’
  4. Select which Security Key you want to deactivate and click ‘Deactivate.’
  5. Click ‘Deactivate Security Key.’

Here’s how to reactivate your PayPal Security Key:

1. Go to www.paypal.co.ukand log in to your account.
  2. Click ‘Profile’ near the top of the page.
  3. Click ‘PayPal Security Key’ under ‘Account Information.’
  4. Click ‘Activate,’ or, if your Security Key was previously lost, click ‘Found Security Key.’
  5. Follow the instructions to reactivate your Security Key and click ‘Activate.’

Let us know if this works for you!

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

Paulski
New Community Member

I am having the same problem and not getting texts on my new phone.  I have deactivated and reactivated to no avail and despite about 8 requests for a security key, i have not had one response and have had to make payment without it, which I am not happy about.  Is there a resolution to this problem?

Login to Me Too

C0deM0nkey
Contributor
Contributor

I've encountered this too over the past 1 / 2 weeks, coincidentally when changing phones & network.

However, having spoken by phone to PayPal customer services they have advised me that this is a current problem both in the UK and elsewhere and they have no estimate for resolution. Pretty poor approach if that is the case.

I'm curious - has anyone actually got this working at the moment?

Login to Me Too

c-hri-s
Contributor
Contributor

Same here. It worked just fine, then all of a sudden I can't receive any of the texts from PayPal. Stopped about three weeks ago.

I've tried deactivating the phone and reactivating, but I can't as it won't receive the reactivation text.

All other text messages work fine for me. I'm on Vodafone UK if that matters.

It's annoying because I've had to disable the security key authentication. I liked the additional security it brought, but it's useless if it doesn't work.

I opened a support case but got nowhere with it. The person I was communicating with didn't even seem to understand the problem.

Login to Me Too

C0deM0nkey
Contributor
Contributor

Considering that they still haven't fixed the issues with managing one's security keys (removal of incorrectly entered ones, no basic validation of phone number format etc) that I reported nearly 3 years ago, I'm not holding my breath for a fix on this.. Smiley Sad

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi guys,

There has been a technical issue reported to us recently where customers weren't receiving the security key text messages that were being sent to them by PayPal. In order for us to be able to provide your information to our technical team, you would need to contact customer services with the information that I have included below. You can contact customer services by clicking the Contact Us icon at the bottom of any PayPal webpage. From here, you can then click the Email Us link to provide the following information:

• Mobile Service Provider
  • Mobile number
  • Time and Date of last SMS request attempt
  • Time and Date of last successful SMS request
  • Make and Model of phone

We can then forward your information to our technical team so that we can try to resolve the issues that you are experiencing.

David.

Login to Me Too

C0deM0nkey
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for getting involved David.

I've done as you requested, however I did try and provide this information when I reported the problem by phone on the 3rd June, but I was told that your technical teams were aware of the problem already and expected a fix shortly. 

Can I ask if you know why my original report of the problem wasn't followed up with me directly? Considering the information your technical guys require I would have been happy to work with them to find a resolution.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_barry

Hey there, if the issue was known to be a site wide issue rather than a specific issue, the technical team may have decided not to respond, especially if there were a lot of contacts on the issue.  Apologies for that.

Login to Me Too

C0deM0nkey
Contributor
Contributor

Still not fixed - do the technical team have any updates for this?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.