scammers

rick31797
New Community Member

I have had scammers contact me through items i would have listed on Kjiji.You can always tell they are scammers because, for one thing, they never argue about the price and also they will say, i will send a shipper to pick your item up...Now they include Paypal.

They ask if you have a Paypal account and if so they want the information, reminding you that it is safe and secure..If you don't have an account they incourage you to sign up..

Ok so you have an account and you give them the information, and they send money to your account, then somebody comes and picks up the item you are selling...

The scam is ????   The only thing i can think of is the buyer claims they did not receive the item and does a charge back... what do you think the scam would be and how Paypal is handling this scam that has them involved.

Login to Me Too
34 REPLIES 34

nazaghloul
Contributor
Contributor

I wonder if there's an easy way to report this fraud attempts. I tried & it wasn't easy so I just let it go...

Login to Me Too

slim_jim
Contributor
Contributor

i guess i would be to tell the police but i am not really sure myself

Login to Me Too

R_A
Contributor
Contributor

I had listed an item on kijiji a couple of times, and had several emails regarding the purchase of my item. these people offer you whatever you are asking, that is a red flag, who pays 7500.00 without at least checking the item out. They also insist you use paypal. I have been in contact with paypal and they requested I send them the emails that I had received. They told me they could verify if I was being scammed. Since doing this, I have not had anymore emails like this regarding my item for sale.

Login to Me Too

Hillzy
New Community Member

I have had someone contact me to buy my motorcycle off Kijijji.  They said they were at sea and could only use PayPal and I needed to front their shipper $600.00 and they would send the additional money.  Felt uncomfortable so contacted buyer and said deal was off.  Sent same message to what I think is PayPal emailing me and the reply is that legal action will be taken against me.

I have canceled the money request and am thinking this is an empty threat. If I cancel on my end would think a potential "buyer" would get their money back.  The message I am getting from Pay Pal (or whoever) is that transactions are irreversable? Thus legally I am on the hook for it.

Login to Me Too

slim_jim
Contributor
Contributor

i cancelled mine and i was not on the hook, they are just trying to get the money out of you

Login to Me Too

R_A
Contributor
Contributor

Do NOT be intimidated by these scammers, I would file a report the whole thing

to kijiji and supply them with any email addresses  you have from your communications

with the scammers, they are scammers, there is nothing they can do to you legally.

I supplied kijii with the addresses and names of the people who tried to scam me.

No doubt their names they are using are fakes.

Login to Me Too

edved
This is my same situation, only I haven't been able to cancel the transaction.how do I do it? The 'buyer' says their money is locked, I emailed PayPal and they said its to protect both parties. I want to cancel te transaction and be done with this mess.
Login to Me Too

edved
Hi. The same thing happened to me, only I sent a PayPal invoice to him. Now I want to cancel it but he tells me his funds are locked awaiting my payment to western union for shipping. Supposedly this is to protect both parties. How do I cancel the transaction?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone,

These are definitely fraudulent attempts.  For more information and resources, please see our main thread Examples of Suspected Fraud/Fake Emails.

For more information on how to tell if an email is from PayPal, please go here.

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

DemonDNF
New Community Member

I just received 2 emails from Paypal about suspicious activity on my paypal account.  Thing is I haven't touched PP in a good while so I immediately logged on directly.  Sure enough, nothing outstanding on my profile, nothing to be addressed.

A quick search in the forums brought me here.  I have another tip for people unsure about emails;

right CLICK and then VIEW SOURCE

And then look for weird HTTP adresses:

societapsicologiagiuridica.org/tmp/ca

ibhele.co.za/language/ca/ssl128/cgi-bin/webscr-cmd_login-run/index.php

Obviously bad places to go to.

Robert

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.