Seller dealt with seems shady - should i report this in some way?

dw_m
New Community Member

So i had an experience with a merchant that left me very uncomfortable.  I can't say i was scammed or ripped off as far as i know since i was refunded price of transactions - but the whole experience made me concerned that someone out there is operated under very shady cirumstances and something inside is telling me maybe i need to report this to someone but not quite sure if it really warrants such action or how i would go about it.

General synopsis:  I attempted to buy something online today and the seller's payment method is Paypal.  Within the hour i received a note back from the seller saying they were refunding me because they had too many bad experiences selling to people in "my area" and are not taking on customers at this time from my location and that they'll notify me if things change.  While i was glad to be refunded, i felt that was rather discriminatory (there was no indication whatsoever on seller's webpage that one had to live in certain areas to be accepted as a customer) and sent a personal email to seller expressing this and indicated i'd be happy to send payment via another venue but was still rejected.

That left a bad taste in my mouth but then i tried looking around for a competing product to the one i could now no longer get and sent paypal payment - and even though the identity of the seller was different, this ended up going to the exact same paypal account!  And within the hour, THAT transaction was also refunded with same explanation.

So i mean, as far as i know, i'm okay in that i hadn't lost any money since both transactions were refunded, but could there be something else going on like a phishing scheme to gather my information?  And does this seller's questionable behavior, though shady, actually break any rules?  Even if it doesn't, is this something that someone else should know about?  I have no problem letting it all go but if this is something that i should be bringing to someone's attention, i would also want to do the right thing and notify whoever.

Input?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi dw_m

I dont think ppal will be interested because u received you refund

Perhaps u could leave feedback on their website?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

where are you?

A website could exclude certain countries if it feels it is not safe to ship or there are just too many problems.

For example,Ebay sellers could exclude country/region or all foreign countries and even individual buyers based on their ebay ID.

AMZN at one time exclude some countries like Thailand,INDONESIA as they experienced too many cc fraud.

OF COURSE no one wants to do business with Nigeria/

Brazil has a problem,it takes too long to clear customs,Mexico too much postal theft,Albania ,too many crooks,Russia cant buy  insurance,Italy inept postal service,the list goes on. 

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

what are you buying?

certain items have export restriction and import restriction,eg,a certain kind of wood used in Thomson guitar,

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Certain geographic areas are higher risk than others as it relates to safe delivery of product.  Seller as a right to not ship when the perceived risk is too high.  That's not descriminatory.

Login to Me Too

William9
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
It is not most likely discriminatory against people in your country / area but rather the poor reputation of logistic services. If you check YouTube about how postal offices work for example in Russia it doesn't give very good impression. Therefore many sellers refuse to ship there if the item is even slightly valuable. I have shipped there and everything probably went fine since I never heard from the buyer, but after watching those videos I've decided not ship anything fragile there because even when it's the postal office who screws up the blame is put on seller.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Sometimes the item is out of stock,but they loathe to remove the listing as it may affect their search ranking or they just want more traffic,who knows? 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Yeah and there is no setting in PayPal itself to not accept payment from specific countries, maybe third party shopping carts or marketplaces can offer that but not at PayPal.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.