Need help with a refund.

Lithonion
Contributor
Contributor
I have put in a refund for a fraudulent purchase from a company called epic games because they had a security breach. Now I never had a problem with things getting fixed and all but PayPal declined my refund stating it wasn't fraudulent which makes no sense. Now when I try to submit the refund again it won't let me. Additional information, epic games will not reply to refund requests and their support does not exist, as I have not gotten any contact back from them.
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Lithonion,

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty you're having obtaining a refund. I'm happy to help clarify the types of disputes that PayPal allows.

A report of unauthorized activity is reserved for transactions that are not made by you, but are instead made by a fraudster pretending to be you. If you made the transaction to the merchant, then a dispute for unauthorized use would be closed as there would be evidence that you actually made the purchase.

The remaining options would be to dispute if there was a purchased item that was not received, or if the item received was not as described. Neither of those would fit the situation either.

Since the reason for the refund is not one of the reasons supported under purchase protection, the remaining recourse that you would have open to you would be to petition the seller for a refund. I understand that you have tried that. I recommend continuing to pursue that course.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Lithonion
Contributor
Contributor
Hello Olivia I don't understand how it wouldn't go through a unauthorized transaction when I didn't authorize it. I know epic games sneakily kept the payment option on the account with out saying anything or having me have a option to disable it when I first made the account, but normally a PayPal transaction opened a window to enter you password to continue the transaction which would stop someone from using it. Also I have read and saw multiple people who had the same issue resolve it through PayPal what makes me any different. Just curious why I cant get the refund through paypal but others have.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Lithonion,

I misinterpreted the situation. I apologize. I'll be happy to provide the correct information.

It sounds like there was an earlier payment with this company that was authorized at some point in the past, is that correct? If a billing agreement was created at that time, you would have had to approve the terms of that agreement in order to continue with that original payment. The billing agreement terms would not require re-approval for a subsequent payment to be made through the arrangement that was created. Typically, such billing agreements are set up with companies that require your log in and password on their service to authorize future payments. If that company had a breach, changing your password on that service and cancelling the billing agreement on PayPal would be important steps to prevent use of the billing agreement that was created.

If you did cancel the billing agreement prior to the charge, you can open a billing dispute. If the billing agreement is still active, it's important that you follow that link above to cancel it as soon as possible.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.