HELP!!! Reasons for a refund.

morgan_rich89
Contributor
Contributor

I sold used pajamas on a facebook site. We are a non-smoking home. The buyer messaged me today and said when she got the items they smelled like smoke. She then preceeded to tell me that she has washed them three times trying to get the smoke out. I thought there was a policy about not being able to get a refund after they were already washed? Can anybody help me with this?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

They were used before you shipped them so I assume they had already been washed.  I assume you purchased them new, used them, and  then sold them.  Is that correct?

Facebook is a risky place to sell items when you accept PayPal for payment.

Login to Me Too

morgan_rich89
Contributor
Contributor
Correct! It was sold on a buy sell trade board on Facebook
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Comments are based on business practices and examples of what really can happen when a buyer is unhappy.

I guess the details don't really matter a lot as the buyer has many ways to open a dispute and likely win.  If you shipped without tracking the buyer can claim and win a refund.

The buyer could find multiple creative ways to claim a problem with smoke or something else not as described and likely win as you would not be able to prove otherwise.

I assum you did not send the buyer a detailed invoice for payment so you don't have much support to describe what you sent.  Did you state a refund policy?

If you didn't state a refund policy you would like have to take a return for buyer's remose with buyer paying return shipping.

You have a lot of issues stacked agains you as the seller; that's just part of selling.

Since you would likely lose a dispute, it is much better to resolve the issue directly with the buyer to avoid a dispute and a potential credit card chargeback cost of $20.

Figure this deal will cost you something, so figure out a solution which will be the least costly.  Figure out what the real concern is for the buyer; a phone call is great for this.   Perhaps the buyer would accept a partial refund. Do you really want the pj's back?

Login to Me Too

morgan_rich89
Contributor
Contributor

No I do not want the pajamas back since they smell like smoke and she stated that she threw them away. 

Thank you so much for your help!

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

With the buyer throwing them out I guess it means the buyer isn't going to file a dispute as the would generally have to rturn them.

In that case just wait and see see what happens.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.