Collection Scam

jfvanells
New Community Member

I have two collection agency sending me letters about an alledge PayPal debt of $300.00. IC System from Minnesota and ACI out of Boerne, Texas. I have never used my PayPal account except when it is hooked to my bank account. I tried to email PayPla and they sent me a lengthy email of dispute resolution all of which want a date of purchase and the invoice from them. But they never sent me one and according to their website I owe nothing. You would think they would want to take care of this rater than making their customers jump through hoops.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Vlee5900
New Community Member

It's not necessarily a scam on the part of the collection agency, it's fraud/ID theft. I received a letter from American Coradius international indicating that I owed PayPal $296. The name on the letter was only partially correct but it was my address. I first contacted PayPal (never call the number listed on a letter you receive if you feel it's a scam, this number can be a scammer with a cell phone waiting for your call who will of course verify that you owe money). PayPal confirmed I had a zero balance, and the account number was not mine. The PayPal rep did confirm that they do use this company for collections so it is a legit collection agency.  I requested PayPal provide me with a telephone number for American Coradius international and it was the same number as was listed on the letter. I then telephone American Coradius international and discovered someone had opened a PayPal account using my address, a bogus email address and no banking information etc, made a purchase and quickly closed the account. The American Coradius international rep immediately recognized this case as ID theft and closed the case. 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
51 REPLIES 51

butopia
Contributor
Contributor

I have had the same thing happen to me in the last couple of weeks (feb 2015).  One collection letter (and calls to me that were UNIDENTIFIED as collection calls) from ACI out of Texas and now today a letter from Convergent Outsourcing, Inc. claiming I owe PayPay amounts in the $300 range without ANY BACKUP as to what these amounts are for.

I called paypal twice and was transferred to their credit card department to confirm that there was not a credit account in my name.  They confirmed there was not, but could nothing more.  They don't even care to get a copy of these possibly fradulent collection letters using THEIR NAME.

I can tell you, that if paypal fraud department doesn't get on this immediately, I'm going to cancel my paypal account and NEVER use them again and tell every person I know what has happened, how having a paypal account opens you up for fraud etc.

This is stupid customer service and paypal should be ashamed there is not a better response than I don't know and I don't care.

Login to Me Too

flyingdoc57
New Community Member

Hi Butopia:

Well, you're certainly not alone. I just receved my scam letter from Convergent Outsourcing, Inc. today, informing me that I owe $200.00 to PayPal. Interestingly, I just received my monthly PayPal bill showing no balance due. In doing some internet research, I've learned that this Convergent Outsourcing has been conducting this scam for years, with impunity. In fact, I've read of cases where they've actually reported false debts to the major credit reporting agencies, where reports of debt are considered valid unless/until proven false. In other words, if PayPal is not willing to intervene, this can potentially be a big problem, calling for expensive legal intervention. I plan on calling PayPal tomorrow, but after reading your comment, I'm not hopeful. It will be time to cancel my account.

Good Luck

Login to Me Too

ijingle
New Community Member

Me three. Just received a letter from American Coradius International LLC for an amount just over 350 and it makes no sense. My PayPal account has a zero balance. I was going to write to ACI and "dispute the validity". Or maybe I should contact PayPal, or both.

Login to Me Too

Lgarten85
New Community Member

Same boat. Just received a collections letter from IC System for $370. When I logged into my account, I had a positive balance. I called paypal customer service and they confirmed that I did not owe anything and that the account number on the letter was inaccurate. I forwarded this to their fraud team at spoof@paypal.com for further investigation. 

Login to Me Too

butopia
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting.  I guess I'll email mine in to see if they will follow up.  I've already removed my bank account from pay pal and may still close my account.  Still not happy with their response.  I wonder if they are facilitating the scam in some way.

Login to Me Too

butopia
Contributor
Contributor

I just talked with Convergent Outsourcing.  While they have a physical address and a mailing address the email address is obviously bogus. ***@sohu.com.  it would be interesting if you guys/gals can ask and see if your collection agencies have something similar.  I asked them for a copy of all information they had on the debt and they said they would ask PAYPAL to mail that to me.  This tells me that PAYPAY is involved in this scam (knowingly or unknowingly).  I'll be interested to see what they have.  This looks IDENTICAL to the debt being collected by ACI, same amount same story about someone claiming they bought and paid for something that was not delivered (and I guess PAYPAL gave them a refund).  Totally stupid of PAYPAY to do this.  Anyway.  That's the latest.

Login to Me Too

frenchtickler36
New Community Member
Contact PayPal first, and confirm that you have a zero balance. Let them know you are getting the ACI letter. Armed with this information, contact ACI and have them verify the information on you. If not valid, they should close the case. Make sure they do!
Login to Me Too

backdoc
Contributor
Contributor

I too just got a Collection Letter from ACI to my office address for $200 that claims that I owe from PayPal.

I'm one of those super OCD about credit, and I never use my office address for any credit things. I immediatly called PayPal and PayPal Credit and they have no record of it by looking at my account and my social.

What a pain in the **bleep**.

Login to Me Too

ajb62787
Contributor
Contributor

ACI is a Debt Collector verified by PayPal reps. The other debt collectors do not exclusively own the account in which the amount is from PayPal, thus those are scam debt collectors.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.