PayPal Policies Exploited by Cons/Scammers: Non-dispute of Personal Payments

bensonca
Contributor
Contributor

Here in the Philippines, there are hundreds of thousands of freelancers, being paid through PayPal. One lucrative business here is to "encash" PayPal funds for a fee.

How does this work? PayPal funds take 2-4 days after withdrawal before reaching our bank account. These so-called PayPal encashment guys will ask a person who needs money but don't have 2-4 days to spare for the withdrawal to get to his bank account, to send him the PayPal fund for a hefty 5% of the amount as fee. I accept this kind of practice since it can help people who are really in need of the cash fast (remember, people here are poor and earning less than USD500 a month).

However, because of this practice, unscrupulous individuals came up with an idea to prey on these desperate people out of -their hard-earned money (me included).

The scammers will make a facebook page using fake and usually stolen identity, they will make several PayPal accounts using bogus email addresses and the names of people's identities that they have stolen, then wait for their unsuspecting victim. The victim will usually chat with the "encasher" in facebook, asking more about the service offered. After which the scammer will give out several information including screenshots to so-called successful transfers, etc... Once the scammer gains the victims trust, he will then ask the victim to send the money to his PayPal account. Most of the time, the victim will simply transfer the funds thinking that PayPal will protect him/her in case something goes wrong. However, once the fund is transferred, the scammer will just ask to wait for the funds and block the victim from facebook. 

Here's the fun part, the scammer will usually say transfer the money by clicking "Send to Family and Friends" because as you know, PayPal doesn't do disputes in these transactions.

In my case, the scammer used several email addresses before the transaction got completed. The first two failed and he kept giving my friend another email address. When we tried searching for the scammer in facebook, we found out that there were more people who got scammed through the same modus operandi. So far there are more than 15 people who got scammed by this individual, who never got their money back because of.... yep, you guessed it, NON-DISPUTE OF PERSONAL PAYMENTS, so thanks PayPal for PROTECTING THE WELFARE OF THESE SCAMMERS. When I asked the people who posted their woes in facebook about their transactions, some said they needed the money to pay their house rent, buy medicine, heck one even told me she got scammed out of a hundred bucks that he needed to pay  for his daughter's chemo (she's got leukemia) that day. Please know that here in the Philippines, one hundred US dollars is already a lot of money, for the average person here, that's two weeks pay!!!

From what I know, he conned these 15 people (not including me) out of a few thousand US dollars in total. Currently, he is still very active in facebook, stealing other people's identity and making paypal accounts with them.

The irony of it all is that the scammer will then withdraw the PayPal funds by having it ENCASHED by legit encashers, then file a dispute with them since the scammer does not send it via "Personal Payment" and get double income!

TO PayPal, if you are willing to help, I can send you chat logs, links, screenshots to his posts, and the posts of other people who got scammed by this person.

He is dragging down your name in internet financial security. My current case filed is PP-005-281-588-059, if you want to talk or communicate with me, please feel free to do so anytime. You can call my contact number listed in my account, you ca n email me, or simply chat in skype. I am really **bleep** off right now and already asked my boss from the US to send my wages through MoneyGram instead.

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bensonca

If you choose to use a middleman that you don't know from Facebook then that is not paypals problem.

If you choose to compound that error by sending it using ''friends/ family'' when he is neither a member of your family or a close mate then again that is your problem.

Not sure why paypal should step in if you can't read up on buyer protection and risk assess your own transactions.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

bensonca
Contributor
Contributor
The reason it is PayPal's problem is because they make it too easy for these frauds to do it over and over again without getting caught simply because of their policy. They also allow individuals to create an account ridiculously easy without so much validation. Does PayPal make sure that you are who you say you are when you create an account? No they dont. They simply allow you to create an account and allow that account to accept payments even if it is unverified which give the frauds easy access to a tool with endless possibilities.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal cannot protect users from their own bad judgment.  PayPal users will just have to accept the consequences of making bad decisions for quick money.

On the other hand, you can educate yourself by reading and understanding PayPal policies.  Click on legal agreement at the bottom of the page.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@bensonca wrote:
The reason it is PayPal's problem is because they make it too easy for these frauds to do it over and over again without getting caught simply because of their policy. They also allow individuals to create an account ridiculously easy without so much validation. Does PayPal make sure that you are who you say you are when you create an account? No they dont. They simply allow you to create an account and allow that account to accept payments even if it is unverified which give the frauds easy access to a tool with endless possibilities.

I am not surprised PAYPAL has taken note of these so called fake encashers,even though you are not covered by buyer protection because you sent via friend and family,the fact that you and others have filed disputes against these guys will sound off alarm at Paypal.

You and other victims should also report to FACEBOOK.

A few months ago ,a Paypal member based in USA was doing someone in philipines a favor,she collected all the money like your said from other philipinals and sent it to him,he will go to Western Union and wire her the money,and then chargebacks kept coming in and he lost a lot of money.

sorry for your loss.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@bensonca wrote:

It maybe easy to open an account with Paypal,but if you read this forum,it is not that easy to transfer money to your bank ,one must be verified with a legit bank account and a confirmed credit card,in some cases,personal documents like passport,driver license,Social security,tax id etc.

if the difference of using an encasher and waiting for bank transfer is a few days,then just wait for the bank transfer,better safe than sorry.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Not sure you could report them for anything to paypal.........maybe you could on Facebook though.

But on paypal all they can see is that someone sent a ''gift'' payment and they can't prove it was for an item or a service.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

sending $$ to friends and family,Paypal provides the service free,so now you are asking Paypal to police these activities?

Why are you sending $$ to friend and family when he is not your friend nor your family?

I dont buy the excuse that it takes 2-4 days to receive your fund in your bank,there are cases where the money did not show up in local bank,they end up in a black hole?

PAYPAL said they sent it and the bank said we did not have it.

There are many Vietnamese in USA and in their community,there are services which will remit US fund to Vietnam,may be you know of some Philipinese American   in the States who will do the same for you.

One usually find them inside a vietnamese supermarket,travel agency or jewelry shop. 

Login to Me Too

bensonca
Contributor
Contributor
It seems like you guys don't get it. This is mot just about the money. The frauds are using other people's names for scamming people. They steal facebook photos using real people's pictures and posting it to make their account look legit, which ruins the lives of people who did nothing wrong. This is identity theft which is being done by these frauds and being tolerated by PayPal. These scammers continue doing it because they get away with it thanks to PayPal's loophole. Never mind stupidity and what not of the victims. These frauds will not exist if there is no such loophole.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Stealing pictures is not a PayPal issue.

The scammers get awa with it because there are a lot of gullible PayPal users looking for quick money and gleaming deals.

PayPal can't protect people from their own bad judgment.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.