What do you think about this transaction, what's the safest way to do it?

SebastianT
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone, 

if someone could give me a bit of opinion on this I would appreciate it. 

So, I'm selling an item on my country's version of Craigslist and I'm from Croatia. A guy contacts me in English and says he wants to buy the item from me. 

Here is a transcript of our chat so far: 

HIM: 
item still available? 

ME:  
Hello, yes it's still available.

HIM: 
Thanks for the response, am interested in buying your item, let me known your last price 
for it?,And how long have you owned it? ME: Hello, I have owned it for about 4-5 months now, I have the original packaging as well.
Haven't used it very much as I still have my Fitbit Charge HR and got this one as a
present. There are no signs of any wear on it, I can take few pictures if needed.
The price is 1100kn, or equivalent of around 150€. Depending on where you live
I can send it cash on delivery or after cleared payment on my account, if you're outside
Croatia the shipping costs are paid by you. On another note, if I might ask, how did you
find the advert for this item if you're not from Croatia? 🙂 Thanks, let me know if you want it. HIM: am ok with your price, and condition I will add the 5% paypal charge give me your paypal
email so i can proceed with the payment, my shipping agent will be coming for the pick up
after i complete the payment and you get your money , and i will be responsible for all
transportation charges to my home in maryland USA I'll like you to send me your address so
that my shipping agent can figure it out and come for the pick up and other necessary
things i will pay for it now i am a serious buyer ok PayPal Name ; PayPal E-mail ; Cell Phone No : Home Address for pick-up : ME: Okay, but you don't need any of my information for this. The "picking up" at my home
address or giving away my address/phone number is not going to happen. Any way we're
doing is that I can send it to you via post, without disclosing any of my private data.
If you're interested give me your PayPal address and I will request a payment from you,
after that I will proceed with sending the item but only to verified PayPal address. Cheers! HIM: you can send the paypal request from this same email okay ME: Okay, but I've just made a calculation on the price and I'm not sure if it's okay with you.
The Fitbit is 150€ which is $166, shipping to U.S.A. is 30$, this comes up to 195$.
Paypal 5% fee is 10$ and the total is 205$. Are you sure that's okay with you, it seems
to me like you could be getting a better deal there?
HIM: i am okay with that sebastian ... ME: Okay, but you'll have to give me a bit to think about this. I've already had bad experiences with PayPal and transactions like this, mainly buyers
complaining about "item not as described" or damaged after shipping and me having to
refund the whole amount despite it was shipped in perfect condition. A friend recommends
me to requets payment from you by Western Union but on the other hand that may be risky
to you. I will let you know in an hour or so. Thank you!

This whole thing seems fishy to say the least. Especially the first part where he asked about my private information and talked about his "shipping agent".

How can i be sure that if i request money from him he won't request it back? How can i know that PayPal account that

I request money from is verfied Anyone has any idea how to approach this or should Ijust listen to my gut and drop it altogether?

Thanks everyone! 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

SebastianT
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, this is definitely a scam the more I think about it. Will send him a "back off, not interested" e-mail. 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

SebastianT
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, this is definitely a scam the more I think about it. Will send him a "back off, not interested" e-mail. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

By sending an email you are informing him that it is a live e-mail address and he really has your attentention and interest, so now you'll get lots mroe e-mails.

Best susggesion: ignore.

Login to Me Too

SebastianT
Contributor
Contributor

True, but as i use that e-mail on the site where I sell I have to reply to people, at least initially... And as I put new ads every once in a while it's a good presumption it's an active e-mail even before I reply to anyone. Well, told him that I'm not interested and that he should stop scamming people, so far he didn't send anything else. I'm guessing they're just fishing for easy opportunities. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.