PAYPAL NIGERIA SCAM!!!

erinbv
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to report and bring a scam to your attention.Yesterday I had posted that I was selling a brand new XBOX through Kijiji. Not long after a man by the name of Charles Brown text messaged me explaining that he needed it to send to his cousin in Nigeria. The man claimed that he was from Savannah, GA, and that he would pay extra to cover shipping costs. He then forwarded me 600$ CAD to my PayPal account. I then received what seemed to be fake emails from a “PayPal account” saying that the payment was verified, and all I needed to do was enter the tracking number of the package for the funds to be released to my PayPal account.  I got three emails from them (see attached) and none of them seemed too legitimate. I thought that before I would ship the product, I would reply to this email. When the answer that I got back from “PayPal” was not written very proper I became suspicious. My suspicions rose when I searched the address in Google and came across many warnings against Nigerian PayPal scams. Therefore, I did not send the XBOX, and I send a decline notice to the guy and the fake PayPal email person.

Below is the contact information of this man and the shipping address that he wanted me to ship it to.

<name removed>

<phone number removed>

Shipping to “<name removed>”

<address removed>

I just wanted to advise you about this in hope of saving some other people as well!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@erinbv

This scam has been ongoing for years and is all over the internet and this forum, they use fake i.d's and there is nothing paypal can do as the transactions do not go through any paypal accounts.

Just ignore and delete and make sure you set your buyer prefs if you use ebay.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @erinbv,

Great catch! I'm glad that you were cautious. You definitely saved yourself a headache by being a smart seller!

Please remember that posting personal information about other people is not permitted. It is always possible that the contact information they're giving you belongs to someone who is a victim of fraud, so we don't allow posting of personal information of any kind, just in case. For more details about what is and isn't permitted in posts on the foums, please check out the forum guidelines.

Thank you for letting other people know about your experience so they can be smart sellers too!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.