Heard recently about a Paypal hacking scam [6/2012]

bowzerbird
Contributor
Contributor

On TV, heard the "tail end" of a story on the news RE: Paypal getting hacked. Obviously don't have all the details. Is this true and if so, what are the details? Tried Googling info, can't find anything BUT did find this link:

<link removed>

"How to hack Paypal accounts"

Just went to the site but decided not to stay or read anything. My paranoia!

Just hope it can't be done. Paypal IZ THEE only payment method I use. Don't even use credit cards.

Anyone know what's going on RE: the info in this post?

Ellen

Login to Me Too
25 REPLIES 25

LasVegasCandy
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, $29.95 for a security key, and I can use my compromised paypal account to pay for it Smiley Frustrated I guess I can always have it shipped to Russia.

Have a good day all.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi LasVegasCandy,

The $29.95 is only if you want the physical card version of the key. If you already have a Verisign Identity Protection (VIP) device from another website you can use that too.  The SMS option and the security key mobile app are free. 🙂

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

LasVegasCandy
Contributor
Contributor

Forget it. I don't have a cell phone nor want one.

Have a great day all! Best of luck to everyone with this same problem!

Login to Me Too

StacyL1971
New Community Member

This just happened to me this morning - found an email for an express shipping charge of $59 to Russia. It was generated all of 30 minutes before I got up (I was up at 5...early riser), so I immediately voided the transaction and then called PayPal as soon as they opened at 6. I'll call the USPS when they open at 8, as well...maybe I can get this thing stopped before it goes anywhere.

I'm curious to know how I was hacked. I haven't logged into PayPal in months, and the password I used to have (changed it this AM) is only used on this account. Before listing phishing emails, etc. as reasons why "Natasha" had my password, I used to work in internet/email security at my old company so I'm pretty well-versed in what to do and what not to do. Baffles me. At least I was only hit with one shipment and it wasn't enough to clear out my bank account.

FWIW, the folks at PayPal were really helpful in getting the money back into my account ASAP. Just creeps me out though, thinking there's a package on its way to Russia with my name and address on it.

Login to Me Too

LasVegasCandy
Contributor
Contributor

Oh trust me, it will be delivered. Mine just cleared Russia customs. I phoned the post office where the package was dropped. The counter person had it in their hand. Said they couldn't hold it. Go figure that one out.

As a side note, my name wasn't shown on the label as the shipper, but, she couldn't give me the person's name either. So, they must reprint the label somehow with their SHIP FROM name.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi StacyL1971, and welcome to the forums!

It's possible that your PayPal password was not the password that was compromised. If your email password was compromised, it's possible that a fraudster could use access to your email account to complete password recovery and change your PayPal password. Your email password is just as important to protect as your PayPal password.

Another possibility is if you set up a billing agreement with a site where you were selling, it's possible that the password on that site became compromised, and the fraudster used the already-connected shipping agreement, if one was ever established.

I would recommend changing the passwords on any site where you've sold in the past, and on any email accounts.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

bowzerbird
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, I started this tread and boy, it's "going places." My curiosity has been aroused: I see all this hacking regarding accounts that involve shipments. Those responding have been folks who's accounts have had postage $$$ hacked from their bank accounts.

My question: Do you all have Paypal "selling" accounts? Do you say for example, sell from eBay and these individuals who have hacked your accounts, get the shipping costs from your accounts? I don't know quite how this works.

I use Paypal exclusively for buying only and NO selling. Matter of fact, any Internet buying I do, if the seller doesn't use Paypal, I don't buy from them, go somewhere else. I know credit cards are secure but just prefer Paypal. Just bought a $425 printer from Amazon BUT the seller never gets my financial info. So, I feel safe there too.

From the Paypal admins here, the hacking explanation[s] have been that a PW / email addy has been compromised some how. If so, how does the hacker THEN get into their bank accts. to get the postage $$$ and do they even get the item? My understanding is that they ONLY get the postage and nothing else. Someone stated they were lucky their acct. wasn't drained. That's scary! I've made sure my Paypal PW is unique. It's ONLY used exclusively for Paypal. Nothing else.

Could one of the Admins explain this to me? I may have started this thread but it sure has turned into a Pandora box. Keep it open for all it's worth. I sure would like to understand how the Russians feel that getting a few $$$ from postage makes it worth while to hack accts. unless they are hacking thousands of accts.. Must be.

Thanks in advance,

Ellen

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi bowzerbird,

If someone has your PayPal password, they could make a payment with your account using the payment sources on file. They would appear to be you when they log on. If you notice though, when you log in, you can't see your full bank or credit card information. Neither could anyone else accessing your account with your password.

If you sell on a marketplace website, you may have set up a billing agreement for printing labels. If someone has your password for that site, they may be able to initiate the printing of labels. They'd be limited to that activity only. The only use of your bank account would be as a funding method for the printing of those labels. They could not create any new billing agreements nor make any payments that were not part of a billing agreement that was previously arranged, and they would not see your bank account or credit card number.

If someone has access to your email password, they have a treasure trove of information about you. Sites that are less secure than PayPal actually send passwords as plain text in an email. How many of those messages are sitting in your archive? Can a password scheme be guessed at by looking at those passwords? A person with your email password could remain more or less undetected by reading messages you've already read, or by quickly re-marking messages as read. It's a good idea to change your email password periodically to guard against that.

Ultimately, what it comes down to is the safety of all of your passwords. Consider this analogy - PayPal is like the lock on the front door of your house. Of course, you keep that key safe. However, If there are other doors on your house, those have to be secured as well - including that garage door with the code you punch in. I know lots of people who would not give their front door key away, but have told their garage passcode to a few close friends in case of emergency, or to allow them to drop something off, or for some other innocuous reason. Is there anyone you've given the garage code to? Are they as careful with the information as you would be?

The password on your email account is a similar situation. It's easy to think that your email password is not as important as your PayPal password or your online banking password, because it's not connected to your money. However, that email account is the garage door on your house.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

bowzerbird
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_Olivia wrote:

Hi bowzerbird,

If someone has access to your email password, they have a treasure trove of information about you. Sites that are less secure than PayPal actually send passwords as plain text in an email. How many of those messages are sitting in your archive? Can a password scheme be guessed at by looking at those passwords? A person with your email password could remain more or less undetected by reading messages you've already read, or by quickly re-marking messages as read. It's a good idea to change your email password periodically to guard against that.

The password on your email account is a similar situation. It's easy to think that your email password is not as important as your PayPal password or your online banking password, because it's not connected to your money. However, that email account is the garage door on your house.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

Wow, Olivia THANKS! But, now I have more questions [I cut out what wasn't pertinent to my questions for brevity sake]:

You said "send passwords as plain text in an email" I've never seen / heard of this. Who do they send the email to <> not me <> someone in their "hacking scheme" or am I saying that correctly? What would it look like? If I got an email with this PW as plain text, again, what would it look like? I know this sounds naive to ask.

I use Thunderbird as my email client, if my PW was hacked, could they get into MY computer where the email is stored [if there is no keylogger installed already] and hack the email already there? I have email going back many years & an addressbook too. Caould they hack this? I back up the email folder frequently. I've also made sure no personal info is stored there [i.e. PW's, secure info, tax info, bank acct. info, nothing]! I don't use webmail per say except for junk and don't have addressbooks in them.

The Pandora Box is getting bigger Smiley Frustrated

Thanks in advance,

Ellen

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi bowzerbird,

No worries, I don't mind clarifying. We're talking safety here, and I definitely don't mind turning the information over a few times to ensure understanding so you can be as safe as possible.

@bowzerbird wrote:
You said "send passwords as plain text in an email" I've never seen / heard of this. Who do they send the email to <> not me <> someone in their "hacking scheme" or am I saying that correctly? What would it look like? If I got an email with this PW as plain text, again, what would it look like? I know this sounds naive to ask.

Typically, websites won't do this. Fewer and fewer websites do, but I still see it from time to time and it always concerns me when it happens. I can't think of one off the top of my head and I wouldn't throw it under the bus right now if I could think of one... but I'll make one up. 🙂

Let's say there's a website where you give your feedback about shampoo. You feel very strongly about shampoo brand preference, so you sign up. You're happily trucking along, clicking 4 stars here and 2 stars there... and then you get an email welcoming you to the website. In the email is your username and the password you selected. Do you save it for later reference in case you feel like rating shampoo again a year from now after you've forgotten your password?

If this happens enough times, a pattern might be able to be discerned among the kinds of passwords you use. Are all of them based on cartoon characters? Love songs? 19th century painters? All it takes is a few such emails for a hacker to narrow down the scheme a little, and make educated guesses about the kinds of passwords you might choose for other sites.

@bowzerbird wrote:
I use Thunderbird as my email client, if my PW was hacked, could they get into MY computer where the email is stored [if there is no keylogger installed already] and hack the email already there? I have email going back many years & an addressbook too. Caould they hack this? I back up the email folder frequently. I've also made sure no personal info is stored there [i.e. PW's, secure info, tax info, bank acct. info, nothing]! I don't use webmail per say except for junk and don't have addressbooks in them.

I'm thinking more about email that's hosted remotely. If it's on your computer and you have no security holes in your local setup, your stored info is probably safe. New traffic is potentially at risk if it's intercepted before it reaches your machine. A fraudster with your password could do that and read unencrypted information.

I hope that helps! 🙂

Olivia

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.