Another Fraud

MaryBee48
Contributor
Contributor

I almost had it happen to me but it didn't........he had my e-mail information..

He said he put money into my PayPal account; and that I was supposed to send cash for his agent to come and get the car I have for sale.....

Did he get my Banking information?????

Please, someone answer this......Thank you.....

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

This is a common scam and works like this >>>

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

So if you just gave them your email address why would they have your bank account info??

You did not give them your paypal password as well did you??

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

This is a common scam and works like this >>>

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

So if you just gave them your email address why would they have your bank account info??

You did not give them your paypal password as well did you??

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

MaryBee48
Contributor
Contributor

No..........all they got was my e-mail address......nothing more........

Thank you, I was so worried they could get my bank information and credit card info......

Just for laughs........they are reporting me to you and the FBI for scamming them!!!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Lots of people have your email address, but can't do anything with it unless they have your password......so make sure its a strong one for paypal.

Did you see my line re that they threaten you with legal action....LOL??

Even funnier when they threaten you with the FBI and I am in the U.K and not even in the U.S   Smiley Wink

Oh and they can't report you to me as I don't work for paypal, I am an ebay seller that helps out on here hence "volunteer advisor".

Glad you weren't scammed.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

amf26
Contributor
Contributor
I just got a text from a woman named Katherine saying " I found your listing on Craigslist, Im very intrested and would like to know the present condition thanks. Im trying to make sure its in good condition, I would love to purchase the item, Im satisfied with your price, and am requesting this transaction shoild be done via Paypal. She asked if I had a paypal I said yes. She replyied Im a flight attendent at American Airlines and because im away most of the time I will not be able to deal in person but I have a pick up agent that will be coming fot the pickup as soon the payment has been made and cleared.. Get back to me with ypur paypal email address and ypur name so I can send the payment ASAP. I gave her my name and email address before I decided to read up on the scams. Does this sound sketchy even after the payment is supposed to clear?? How does it work. Can somebody explain to me what I should do. Thank you in advance.
Login to Me Too

EULAgy
Contributor
Contributor

A pretty consistent thing among all scam emails involve classified sites (craigslist, kajiji, etc), being away due to work (most often this is a stationed soldier or something along those lines, though they generally use any "respectable" career that is also sensible), and lastly they'll have an agent come and pick it up (usually after you pay the agent). So I would be wary. Some things to do would be:

1. 1. Make sure you have the funds in your PayPal account before releasing the item. They may show in a pending balance, but pending balances are still in your possession.
  2.  2. The  address you ship to is the one provided in your transaction details. This is for seller protection purposes.
  3. 3. When you receive an email supposedly from PayPal, do not follow any links within the email whatsoever. Instead, log in to your PayPal account via paypal.com and check that way. That minimizes the chances of simply handing out your information to someone.

That's all I've got off the top of my head. Just keep note of the things listed above and if you have any other questions, I'd contact PayPal directly, either via social media, email, or phone as applicable.

Login to Me Too

amf26
Contributor
Contributor
How can i protect myself if supposably the agent is picking up the massage chair. I asked to talk on the phone and am going to ask to fax over an agreement that the sale is final and as soon as the agent which i will ask for ID to match the fax i requested and have signed. And reassuring that as soon as the chair leaves my home it is no longer my responsibility. Would that help so that way she will not be able to ask for a refund and stay with the product. Would that work??
Login to Me Too

EULAgy
Contributor
Contributor

As far as the PayPal side is concerned, seller protection is given when all of the following conditions are met:

The selling account in question, prior to the transaction, is a Premier or Business account.

The item is paid for in a single payment.

The funds are within your PayPal account, either pending/on hold or available before the item leaves your ownership.

The item is shipped to the address listed in the Transaction Details.

It is a physical, tangible good.

Proof of Delivery and/or Shipment (usually a tracking number). Signature for pick up must also be included if it is above the value of 750USD

It cannot be delivered in person.

--

This is just what's covered in the User Agreement in section 11. I would consider directing more specific questions to the customer support.

The main thing to consider here for you in particular is that if they are the one hiring the supposed shipping agency, they are the one controlling the destination, not you, and cause you to lose eligibility of your seller protection, therefore it's always advisable you pay for the shipping, and simply include the costs as part of the price for your item.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.