More paypal credit confusion.

meowsie
Contributor
Contributor
After I actually figured out how to use paypal credit, I'm a little confused at how my balance is showing on my account. So......when you make a paypal credit purchase, is it supposed to deduct the total from your 'main' paypal account balance? After the purchase my main paypal balance has gone negative. The amount has also been deducted from my paypal credit line as well. This is just odd to me because it looks like I'm being hit twice for one purchase. The purchase I made has also been flagged by security. Could this be a factor in this? It doesn't make sense that my purchase bought with paypal credit would deduct from my separate paypal balance. If I would have actually had money in my main paypal account it would have wiped me out. Well, I did have 6 bucks that I was going to use it towards the balance anyway. So much for being 'credit'. Seriously unimpressed by this service so far. -_-
Login to Me Too
22 REPLIES 22

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal evaluates every purchase made with their security model.  It's more than your credit report.  They don't disclose all factors used in their security evaluations.  It could include the type of purchase, the attempts at making a purchase (how many attempts and then stop) for your Dell purchase as you tried to figure out how to pay.  Even after payment, PayPal could have detected a security issue with the Dell transaction.  I'm only speculating as I would try to look at any and all potential angles.

I'm only guessing, but that PayPal for some reason had an issue with the PayPal Credit purchase and moved to funds to your regular account.  This might even be temporary until they figure our the issue.

Good look.

Off to my vendor selling day event.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@meowsie

Do you have an update?  Hoping it's all resolved.

Login to Me Too

meowsie
Contributor
Contributor

The flag and report in the resolution center have been taken off my account, but still waiting to get the funds issue straightened out. I called and was instructed to email my account screen shots, the financing email, and my dell receipts.  The girl that helped me said there were other people calling in with similar issues, so it could have been an issue with the system...but we'll see. Hopefully I hear back from them later tonight or tomorrow. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

May not be the best news, but at least encouraging.

I read on another post today where somone had issues with PayPal Credit at Sears where it was intially approved and then reversed.  That person didn't follow the problem systematically and wasn't able to get to the right person in support.

It makes me think it was a computer issue with PayPal Credit and some vendors.

Thanks for sharing; it's been a learning experience for me, too.  I'm always on a quest for knowledge while helping others.

Login to Me Too

meowsie
Contributor
Contributor

Yea, I'm going to have to call back since I didn't get any email response within the past few days.  The emails I've sent haven't even been opened on the other side.

That does sound like what I'm going through.  It's really unfair.  I wouldn't have made the purchase in the first place if I would have known it was going to be 'reversed' for reasons that paypal can't explain, and put me in the red.  If anything gets sent to the reporting agencies, or I don't get any straight answers next time I call, I will be filing a consumer complaint. I'm glad I was able to document everything. I opened this account as a hidden tradeline to facilitate rebuilding my credit for a mortgage.  It's so silly and frustrating to see my delinquent account right above my supposedly available credit limit.

Looks like I'm going to have to put my mean pants on to get anything done.  What a shame. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the update.

I wouldn't expect much from emails as emails can't get the details as can a personal call.  it just takes a lot of persistence.

I did notice one new, and I think very important piece of data in your comment:  you opened the PayPal Credit acocunt to rebuild your credit.  Does that mean your credit score was low and that you had a credit problem, like no credit cards?  It's quite possible that PayPal Credit took re-look at your credit and that caused the change in payment method.  PayPal does evaluate their financial risk with each purchase according undisclosed security models.

This is something you could ask when you call PayPal and also PayPal Credit.  In the meantime I guess you need to take care of the account reported as delinquent unless you can get PayPal to resolve it.

I'm meaning to be discouraging, just offering my own commentary and wishing you a better outcome.

I do offer my encouragement.

Login to Me Too

meowsie
Contributor
Contributor

No, my credit score is average and I have cards that I pay in full every month. My score and credit profile haven't changed at all since being granted the line of credit, or the first time my paypal credit purchase was seemingly approved.  I only opened paypal credit since it's a hidden tradeline it helps keep my credit utilization low. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@meowsie

Just a comment/question as I really don't know the answer and it's not likely relevant to the current issue.  It's just for curiosity.

Is PayPal Credit account really a hidden tradeline, meaning it doesn't show in credit reports.  My thinking is that it would be visible in credit reports just  like any credit card.  I've never seen a copy of a credit report so I don't know for sure.

Login to Me Too

meowsie
Contributor
Contributor

Yep! I first heard of paypal credit through the myfico credit forums, where many people have attested that paypal credit is a hidden tradeline.  The only mark paypal credit supposedly leaves on your credit report is the initial inquiry. The balance, limits, and payments don't report.

When I first signed up for ppc I was expecting it to be like a credit card account other than the hidden aspect. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@meowsie

Thanks for the information.  Interesting.

I guess that would mean the PayPal Credit would not be helpful in building one's credit history.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.