Refunding a dispute??

A_HVine
Contributor
Contributor
So I sold an item to someone who couldn't pay shipping. I thought I'd be nice enough to pay it for them but made it clear it might be a couple weeks since the shipping is very expensive. They put in a dispute when they decided two weeks was long enough and now my account is in the negatives. I promised them a refund but I had already used a good amount of the money. Now I have been sending payments in and my account is becoming closer to being balanced but they said they aren't grtting the money? My account has a transaction saying pending to the person but the money Im putting in isnt going to them? What's happening?
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Their payment is still in your account but withheld so you cant use it.

Until the dispute is resolved,that money is in limbo,you cant touch it and he does not get it.

so what is the status of the dispute now?

Did you ship?is there tracking,does it say delivered,upload it to the case.and ask PAYPAL to review it, 

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

if the case is open,go to resolution /open case and refund him,if this is what you want to do,then the case wil close

Login to Me Too

A_HVine
Contributor
Contributor
I saw the option to refund so I clicked that. The dispute is still. I have been putting money in so will they get it?
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

When the dispute was filed and your balance was zero, PayPal put your account in the negative because PayPal would have put a hold of the amount to be able to instantly award it to the winner of the dispute, basically front the refund.  What you are doing is paying PayPal back, not the buyer so I think it is not right of the buyer to say they were not getting this money, or you to think the buyer is not getting the money, unless I have a mistaken perception of how the refund would be worked out when the balance is zero.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

A_HVine
Contributor
Contributor
Putting the money in has brought the balance up.. I mean it's still in the negatives. My client says they didnt receive anything and that's when I noticed a refund option. I clikced it but the dispute is still up. Will they get the money? What will happen now? They are going to escalate this to Paypal claim and I don't know what to do. I kind of figured they'd get the money as I put it in the account since there's a pending transaction showing money going to them.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.