Question on Buyers Protection for a Landscaper hire

pred8er
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All, 

I hired a landscaper who charged a total of $1500, he took a $500 deposit via paypal. 

He isnt doing much and hasnt even cut the grass.... 

I think he will bail in the next couple of days with the $500 deposit i gave via paypal. 

Can I get my money back? What information do I need to provide paypal? 

I do not want this guy saying he did tons of work when he didnt do anything but walk around the property for a couple of days. 

Thank you 

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Did you have a signed paper contract of work to be performed?

You did pay as goods/services, right?

File a dispute for non-receipt.  He will have no tracking number to prove delivery.

He may, however, provide documentation (false or otherwise) that he provided the service.

Outcome would be uncertain.

It depends on his exppertise and knowledge about PayPal protection and requirements.

Login to Me Too

pred8er
Contributor
Contributor

Did you have a signed paper contract of work to be performed?

He sent me an email saying he wil doing the following things, most of them he is backing out of now. It wasnt signed but via email you can see what was agreed, I also put the agreed points in the paypal note during payment. 

You did pay as goods/services, right?

I think so Yes, how can I check to be safe? 

I have pictures BEFORE he started his work. It wont be a problem to take pics once he bails - will this help?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Check your PayPal transcation details on your PayPal activity page on your computer. 

The paper contract is what is important in any construction/landscape work.  It's for your protection in case you would need to take legal action against the service provider.  It's not really relevant for PayPal but it's just good practice.  A reputable service provider would also provide you with  a paper contract.  It shows you met and paid in person.

You take a chance and file a dispute for non-receipt and make a simple dispute that you did not receive the product.  PayPal will ask seller for a tracking number.  When you file the dispute pay attention to dates.  So you file the dispute, when 7 days have expired since payment, escalate to a claim.  Then leave the rest to PayPal. 

Login to Me Too

pred8er
Contributor
Contributor

@DPCreations wrote:

Check your PayPal transcation details on your PayPal activity page on your computer. 

The paper contract is what is important in any construction/landscape work.  It's for your protection in case you would need to take legal action against the service provider.  It's not really relevant for PayPal but it's just good practice.  A reputable service provider would also provide you with  a paper contract.  It shows you met and paid in person.

You take a chance and file a dispute for non-receipt and make a simple dispute that you did not receive the product.  PayPal will ask seller for a tracking number.  When you file the dispute pay attention to dates.  So you file the dispute, when 7 days have expired since payment, escalate to a claim.  Then leave the rest to PayPal. 

thats an strange way to do it? 

i means its not as if he can mail me the landscaping services? 

ive not done this before, 

would it be easier to call paypal to open a dispute? or am i safer to do it myself online as goods not received? 

We could not meet in person either as this property i am trying to sell was in another state, so we had to hire someone, i have before pics from myself and my reator., 

Login to Me Too

pred8er
Contributor
Contributor

duplicate

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You missed my point.  Paper contracts are important in business such as landscape or construction; those are local services and you should have paper documents.  It just how conduct business; it has nothing to do with PayPal, but with legal issues of work completed or not.

If file a dispute with PayPal youneed to undestand how it works.  In your case select non-delivery and follow through.  It's your best option.

Click on legal at the bottom of the page and then User Agreement.  Go down to buyer protection AND seller protection and then make sure you understand both thoroughly so you know what you are doing.

Login to Me Too

pred8er
Contributor
Contributor

@DPCreations wrote:

You missed my point.  Paper contracts are important in business such as landscape or construction; those are local services and you should have paper documents.  It just how conduct business; it has nothing to do with PayPal, but with legal issues of work completed or not.

If file a dispute with PayPal youneed to undestand how it works.  In your case select non-delivery and follow through.  It's your best option.

Click on legal at the bottom of the page and then User Agreement.  Go down to buyer protection AND seller protection and then make sure you understand both thoroughly so you know what you are doing.

THank you very much, 

I do understand in regards to paper contract, we just agreed via email due to the nature of me lising 3000 miles away. 

But thanks I will open the non delivery once he bails and if he has literally done nothing

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.