It looks like this number isn’t registered in your name. Please try a different number.

burgo
Contributor
Contributor

I've had a paypal account for 4 years now and the cell number I have on the account is a work phone so it is not in my name. My employer pays the bill. 

I do not own a personal cell phone. 

When trying to make a PayPal Credit Purchase it gives me an error and points me to verify my phone. The page were my number is supposed to be is blank and when I try to add it, i get "It looks like this number isn’t registered in your name. Please try a different number". 

I believe this is due to Paypal checking who is listed on the phone account. I have never had this issue before but it will be impossible, my name will NEVER be on this account. 

I've been manually verified by Paypal 3 times now and the blocks apparently removed, been told to wait 10 minutes, 24hrs, 48hrs but my account is still pending a security check. I cannot add/remove cards or handle my money as it's in an unusable state. 

It's now coming to the point they're advising me to restart my computer or change my browser, I very condesending statement to make to a user that has used paypal weekly since 2013. 

Please advise me what I should do in this case? I've called no less than 10 times and I am given a different reason each time, until I then ask them directly if it's due to this and then it is confirmed this is a possibility. 

When someone wishes to make a purchase online "try again in 48hrs" is not an acceptable response. It is still not working. 

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

FTS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

To correct this issue you will need to add a phone that is in your name.

I realize that is not the answer you wanted; however it is the only recourse.

Login to Me Too

burgo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Can you provide some documentation or literacy that supports this? 

Why does it not say this on my account. 

Why have the 10 PayPal advisors not said this?

Thanks. 

Login to Me Too

FTS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Um, no.

Identity verification by phone REQUIRES the phone be in the person's name.

This is nothing new, nor is it limited to PayPal.

Login to Me Too

burgo
Contributor
Contributor

I've never had the issue before. 

Can you advise what happens with people that have pre-paid phones, international phones or no cell phone? 

Please do not post If you have no proof of this 

Login to Me Too

FTS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I have common sense, and this is a public form, I will post when appropriate.

Please don't reply if it's just to launch another personal attack.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@burgo

If they have a pre-paid phone then its unlikely it can be added.

Also you can't add an international phone number to a country specific paypal account.

@FTSwas giving you good advice, shame you didn't say thank you for their help.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@burgo wrote:

I've never had the issue before. 

Can you advise what happens with people that have pre-paid phones, international phones or no cell phone? 

Please do not post If you have no proof of this 

if a person has no cell phone,then he would not be making purchase on a cell phone.

Ihave no cell phone,I use my PC to make buy and sell transactions,never a problem.

why dont you go back home and use a PC or Laptop

Login to Me Too

myfonemyname
New Community Member

I have used Burner App Numbers in the past when setting up my account an they sent the verification code to that number just fine the whole time i had the account open. Now their policies have changed. But i do know that since this policy must have changed i've opened an account with a burner number applied for and was approved for $5000 line of credit.....waited 3 months then tried to use it and they sent verification codes to the burner number again. But upon 2 other tries my burner numbers were shot down instantly.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

or get a cell phone in your name if it is $$wothwhile.

I have no cell phone ,never have

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.