Credit card declined, can't figure out why

luckky
Contributor
Contributor

So, while trying to make a purchase on a website that only accepts payment through paypal, I ran into some troubles. Long story short, I removed and re-added my card, went through the process of getting a confirmation number sent with a $1.95 fee, and now I'm being told my card has been declined with this message: 

• Sorry, but your Visa x-xxxx was declined. Please add another debit or credit card to complete your purchase.

I've also received an email about my card being declined.

Paypal suggests that I entered in the address or security code wrong, but I know I didn't. I've been trying to purchase this item for at least over an hour now, and I'm incredibly frustrated. Since it's a walmart money card (basically a Visa reloadable debit card) I was wondering if that's part of the problem? I never had any troubles in the past, and I just bought something off of Amazon with it today and it went fine, but I was thinking that maybe Paypal just... won't let me pay for things with this type of card. I only have this card, so using a different one is not an option.

I need to buy this item as soon as possible, since it must arrive a day or two before November 18th. The website is the only place I can buy it, and it only accepts paypal. So I'm kind of at a loss. And again, really frustrated that I've spent so long trying to buy this one thing.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

luckky
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I tried once more today just to see if anything might've changed, and the site and paypal accepted my card no problem.

I have absolutely no idea why or what changed overnight, and it was a very frustrating experience overall, but I guess it's not an issue for now.

Thanks for trying to help, guys!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I think the only prepaid card you can link to your account is a PayPal prepaid card. 

Other company prepaid cards cannot be linked for payments.

Best to link a regular MC or VISA credit card to your acocunt so you don't have problems.

With your Wal-Mart card its probably best to stick to Wal-Mart online or local retail purchases.

Login to Me Too

luckky
Contributor
Contributor

Ah, I don't have any other cards, which is part of the problem.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Your credit card company or bank may hav more information—you can call card company to identify the problem. To protect your privacy, your credit card company or card issuer doesn't tell PayPal why your card was declined.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

luckky
Contributor
Contributor

It's not connected to a bank or anything, as it is a reloadable visa prepaid walmart moneycard ^^;;

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@luckky wrote:

It's not connected to a bank or anything, as it is a reloadable visa prepaid walmart moneycard ^^;;

Call whoever issued the card.  Common sense.  But happy that it is working for you.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Wales1

I have 2 verified credit cards on PayPal. I have been trying to purchase a mobile for weeks via PayPal. Each time i get this:  We're sorry. We can't complete your purchase at this time.
Please return to the merchant and choose another way to pay. My credit card company says they haven't declined so I'm at a loss. So frustrating. 

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

walmart money card (basically a Visa reloadable debit card) I was wondering if that's part of the problem? 

-------------------------------------

I think this is your problem.

look around,if it is new,there must be other sites which sell the item.

Login to Me Too

luckky
Contributor
Contributor

unfortunately it is the site of a small business known for high quality, and I know I can trust them. Unfortunately if I found anyone re-selling the products, I'd be a bit doubtful of the condition/quality that can't be ensured by a random third party. 😞

Login to Me Too
Solved

luckky
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I tried once more today just to see if anything might've changed, and the site and paypal accepted my card no problem.

I have absolutely no idea why or what changed overnight, and it was a very frustrating experience overall, but I guess it's not an issue for now.

Thanks for trying to help, guys!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.