Help with refund times

User84736
Contributor
Contributor

I bought an item using PayPal and now I requested for the company to refund it. So far, they've been very helpful in trying to resolve the supposed "issues with the refund" which, given how long I've been waiting for it now, I think might be a mild scam.

Now, while I would love to issue a refund request, there's one issue. Their refund policy is "Try the thing for 6 months and get your money back if you don't like it". The problem with this is that you can't get the refund before the 6 months, so it seems a normal PayPal refund method won't work.

They've said that they've issued the refund request to my paypal, then go on to say "It depends on how long it takes for PayPal to process it".

First question is: Is there anything I can do to force the refund through PayPal?

Second question is: How long does it take for PayPal to process a refund?

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@User84736

You can file a dispute with paypal for non receipt of item OR item received but not as described.

IF paypal find in your favour then how quickly you get the refund depends on who is refunding you / if they fund it from their balance or bank account and how YOU funded the paypal payment in the first place.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

User84736
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

My issue is that I received the item, it was the correct item, but according to the company's refund policy (if not happy after 6 month of using the product) I should be eligible for a refund.

I have already requested a refund from them, received the refund confirmation email from them, but 2 times already, after waiting the full refund duration (15 days) for both times, the money has not appeared.

My predicament is that, as far as I know, there's no way I could get a refund through paypal since:

A) The purchase was made 6 months ago, even though the company's refund policy still says I am valid for a refund

B) The item was what I ordered

Would I still be able to file a dispute given the above information?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@User84736

If its over 180 days then no you can't file a dispute BUT if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then you could contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

User84736
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

Unfortunately it was not funded through a credit card, and it was instead funded by a bank card.

That brings us to the second question. Since they have stated that they have reprocessed the refund request, and that I'd have to wait for PayPal to process it. How long would that take, given that a bank card was the payment source for the original transaction?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@User84736

Some banks if you used a card will help you as a goodwill gesture.

They can't do a ''refund'' via paypal after 60 days but they can use the send money option to send you a refund as a payment BUT get them to use the friends / family option so paypal don't think you are selling something and put on a new seller hold / pending status for 21 days.

As they cannot do a refund and have to use the ''send money'' option then it should appear in your paypal balance more or less the instant they sent the payment. Paypal do not have to process those payments.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

User84736
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

I will have to speak with my bank about a possible chargeback.

As with the second part, I'll ask them how they have sent the payment, so that I can understand the possible timeframe.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Did you return the item?

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@User84736 wrote:

@kernowlass

Unfortunately it was not funded through a credit card, and it was instead funded by a bank card.

That brings us to the second question. Since they have stated that they have reprocessed the refund request, and that I'd have to wait for PayPal to process it. How long would that take, given that a bank card was the payment source for the original transaction?

If they have issued you a refund via Paypal,you would be notified same day the refund was issued,

you have used the item for 180 days,and it does not sound like you have been asked to return the item,why not just move on  and forget about looking for this refund which probably does not exist.

I doubt your bank can do anything for you.

Login to Me Too

User84736
Contributor
Contributor

@lancelotme wrote:

@User84736 wrote:

@kernowlass

If they have issued you a refund via Paypal,you would be notified same day the refund was issued,

you have used the item for 180 days,and it does not sound like you have been asked to return the item,why not just move on  and forget about looking for this refund which probably does not exist.

I doubt your bank can do anything for you.

I had returned the item to them, that's why I'm making such a fuss about it. The company wouldn't have this sort of refund policy if they didn't ask for the product back, or am I wrong about that?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.