Creating paypal account and invoice

Nuelisca
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I just created a paypal account to pay something easier.

This thing is that the seller sent me an invoice before i created that account.

I used the same email to create the account and the invoice now appear as a bill (i wasn't expecting it but it's magic).

Anyway I would like to know if i pay that bill, will i be protected by paypal as a goods & services payment ?

How do I know if the bill i have is a goods & services or family & friends kind of payment ?

Should I send myself money to that seller (i've got his email, etc) to be sure to be protected ?

In that case, how do i write what item i'm buying to be sure he's not going to take the money and doesn't send nothing ?

Thank you very much in advance for your help...

Nuelisca

Login to Me Too
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solved

ShiraYuki
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Again, payments via invoice is considered payment for good and service

7.2 Eligibility Requirements.

To be eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection you must meet all of the following requirements:

• Open a Dispute within 180 Days of the date you sent the payment – then follow the online dispute resolution process described below under "Dispute Resolution"
    • You must respond to PayPal’s request for documentation and other information in a timely manner
    • Have an Account in good standing
    • You have not received a recovery related to such purchase from another source

7.3 Ineligible Items.  Payments for the following are not eligible for reimbursement under PayPal Buyer Protection:

• Real estate
  • Businesses (when you buy a business)
  • Vehicles, including motorcycles, caravans, aircrafts and boats
  • Significantly Not As Described Claims for custom made items
  • Payments on crowdfunding platforms
  • Items that violate PayPal's Acceptable Use Policy
  • For Item Not Received (INR) items which you collect in person, or arrange to be collected on your behalf, including at a retail point of sale
  • Industrial machinery used in manufacturing
  • Stored value items such as gift cards and pre-paid cards
  • Gambling, gaming and other activity with an entry fee and a prize
  • Anything purchased from or an amount paid to a government agency
  • Personal Payments
  • Donations made to charities or non-profit organizations

Even if your payment is not eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection, you can file a Dispute and resolve the issue directly with the Seller, however, PayPal will not find in your favor if you escalate a Dispute to a Claim when an item is not eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
Solved

ShiraYuki
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

by default , yes you're under buyer's protection assuming the item is indeed eligible.

Login to Me Too
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I would be extremely cautious about electronics, name brand items, and any item which seems to be too good to be true.

If you get an item which you think is deceptive or not as described, a dispute will be about whether buyer or seller is telling the truth.  PayPal will decide.  Also if the item isn't as described you will need to pay return shpping with tracking before PayPal will mediate a refund.

PayPal can't protect a buyer from poor judgement in making a purchase.

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I hope yu didn't send anything nor any money.  I think your getting into a scam where you'll loose money.

Best suggestion:  do nothing.

Or you could try to better explain want transpired so far.  As explained, however, it looks bad.  You should also wait several days until you learn how to use PayPal.  You should also read and make sure you understand PalPal polices for transfers and protection.

Click on the Legal Agreement at the bottom of the page and carefully read everthing.

Login to Me Too

Nuelisca
Contributor
Contributor

It's an item i found on a website where sellers and buyers can communicate. You can't pay directly there like Ebay though.

As i didn't have a paypal account, i asked him to send me an income. I used this already and it went fine, but it was for a small amount of money so i didn't really looked into the protection for buyers.

Now it's not a small amount and it's overseas so i want to take care of what i'm doing.

Usually when you want to buy something, how does it works ?

Login to Me Too

ShiraYuki
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

does the invoice have the details of the item?

Login to Me Too

Nuelisca
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, one line for the item i'm buying, one line he called "shipping fees + paypal fees"

It also says :

Payment terms:

Due on receipt

I already got another income when i didn't had a paypal account and the shipping fees were separated and written after the subtotal. Is this difference important ?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Income and invoice are not the same thing.

It's important clarify what you really mean.

Initiallly you stated that the seller is sending income; that means the seller is sending MONEY.  Sellers don't send money.

It looks like you mean INVOICE.  An invoice is a request for MONEY.

An INVOICE needs all product details, including pictures, shipping fee, shiping service, and times..

Login to Me Too

Nuelisca
Contributor
Contributor

Oh i'm sorry, english isn't my first language actually...

It's my mistake, i received an INVOICE in both cases.

For this one, there is details about what i'm buying, and another line for shipping fees + paypal fees (that represent 6% for the price of the item). I can add that the shipping should be with tracking number according to what the seller said and i've got a photo from the website we first negociated. Are you saying that the invoice should contains a photo + details about shipping service ?

Can i consider he asked for is a goods and service payment (and not a family & friends one), which would means i would be protected by paypal if i doesn't receive it ?

Login to Me Too

ShiraYuki
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

any payment made via invoice is considered a payment for goods and services. if you think the price and agreement included in the invoice is acceptable they you can go ahead and pay for the item but for buyers protection , I suggest to read the paypal user agreement about buyers and sellers protection.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You can't modify an invoice.   If the invoice isn't satisfactory you can ask that the seller create a new one.

Some sellers will add their PayPal fees as a surchage to the price of the item.  It's not what I would do as a seller, but some do.

Aa for tracking number, that's seller's option and for seller protection.  The main thing about shipping is that the seller should state the type of service; will it take 5 days or 5 months? 

The email invoice should have a link and you just clidk on the link and make the payment; it will be for goods/services.

What are the origin and destination countries.

Does the product qualify for buyer protection?  Read PayPal policies.

Login to Me Too

Nuelisca
Contributor
Contributor

He's from Malaysia and i'm from France.

I read that protection policy already but i don't understand if i'm going to be protected if i pay an invoice or if i should " Send Money tab on the PayPal website by clicking the “Purchase” tab" And is an invoice considerated as a "seller’s PayPal checkout flow" ?

And thats right i got an email first and now it appears on my paypal's home.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.